Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Taskbar, Start Menu, and possible other XP Errors

• Please log in to reply

empire_182

empire_182

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm currently new to the forum, and I'm in need of some help :)

Well it seems that today, after I had just completed a full system scan (AVG Anti-virus Scan, Webroot Spy-sweeper Full System Scan, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware full system scan in Safe Mode) because I thought my computer had viruses, spyware and other trouble some things on it. Well when I rebooted my computer normally, I noticed that my Taskbar and Start Menu were in an extremely weird mode. It wasn't Classic Mode or Standard Mode(for XP) because I was never familiar with it. Instead, I believe currently it's in Windows 2000 taskbar and Start menu set-up because I have another computer on Windows 2000. I've tried going to Control Panel, going to Taskbar and Start-Menu and trying to changing it back to normal, but for some reason it just won't change back. I then scanned my computer using Trendhouse Micro Online and it detected that I had 3 viruses, which I removed then rebooted my computer. Unfortuneately it's still in same condition as it was before so I then downloaded TrojanHunter. This too did not work so I'm a bit puzzled about what could be affecting my computer. I believe it probably has a unusual Trojan or Virus that I just can't seem to remove and so I had to turn to you guys for help :) . To summarize what problems I'm currently experiencing and what I need help fixing:

Turning my Taskbar and Start-Menu back to regular Xp format
Removing any spyware that these programs didn't get
Removing any viruses or trojans that still are on my computer

Thank you guys so much for all your help!!! :tazz:

Edited by Keith, 04 December 2005 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi empire_182! Welcome to G2G!

Please download the Resources.zip file. Extract the files to C:\Windows directory. Make sure that the destination is set to C:\Windows. Once they are extracted, reboot your computer and once rebooted try to change the theme back to Windows XP.

You change the theme back to Windows XP theme by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting PROPERTIES. In the DISPLAY PROPERTIES window, make sure you are on the THEMES tab and then select WINDOWS XP from the pull-down list under the THEME heading. Click APPLY and then OK and you should have the Windows XP Theme back.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 04 December 2005 - 06:17 PM.

empire_182

empire_182

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Wow! Thank you so much for your help!!! Do you think there are any viruses or other malware from my hijack this log? I've already scanned my computer using AVG anti-virus free-edition w/ full updates and trendhouse micro online complete scan but you know, you can never be too sure. Those virus scanners have detected the Javabyte CLass virus or something multiple times and removed them, but I'm still kind of doubtful it's totally removed, along with the doubt of being free of the malware. Also what do you think could have made my computer this way? I ran Clean-up, which I forgot to mention, but I've ran it before so I don't think it should have made it this way.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. I would also suggest you post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum and have an expert take a look at it and make sure it's clean.

Fenor

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Clean Up has been known to disrupt the themes

You should not have two installed AV programmes running together

To be certain the PC is clear of Malware

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, please remove your HJT log from your above topic in this thread. It isn't useful in this thread, and you will repost a fresh HJT log in a topic you create in the Malware Forum.

If you have any other problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please don't hesitate to return to this thread for further assistance!

Fenor