Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with upgrades. A few questions.

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, posted a few things before about upgrading my computer and you guys were a lot of help.

This time I'm upgrading some more and need some insight.

I'm replacing my FX 5200 Geforce card with an XFX GeForce 6800
Replacing my 256 DDR RAM with a 1gig stick to go along with my 512 stick. should give me around 1536 megs of ram.

Now its an old Dell Dimension 2400, with a replaced motherboard. It has a crapy 250W power supply, so I need a new one.

I found one, 350W supply.
There is another one a bit cheaper, exaclty the same but without a tool kit :tazz:
Not sure which to get.

My question is, do all power supplies work with most cases?
Are they the same size? so it will fit in my standard case I got from dell?

The XFX 6800 needs to be connected to the power supply, and I've never had a card that needed this.
Having it connected to my supply, does it lower any performence of my system? or anything like that?
Also a little walkthrough of connecting my card to my power supply is welcome!

The place I can get my parts from is www.tigerdirect.ca , I live in Canada and this place seems to have the best all around hardware with reasonable prices. So if someone that reads this has any better ideas of what I should do, please by all means, give me some suggestions!

My system specs as of now are.
P4 2.8Ghz
768Mbs of RAM
GeForce FX5200

My motherboard is an A Open s661GXm-U.
I'm aiming to get all these upgrades total with a budget of around 500 dollars, give or take.

Thank you all in advance!

Links to the things I thought I should gather.
Card
http://www.tigerdire...9&sku=P450-8606
RAM
http://www.tigerdire...39&sku=C13-2920
Power Supply
http://www.tigerdire...3&sku=TC3J-2024

Edited by Purgatory, 04 December 2005 - 06:29 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the motherboard will take 1GB sticks

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I used crucial's website, here's the link, shows that it can take a 1gig stick

http://www.crucial.c...GXm-U&submit=Go

So can anyone help me with the other things I asked?
Or help me suggestions that might be better than what I found for myself

Edited by Purgatory, 04 December 2005 - 08:28 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Purgatory...

I'd throw a little more money at the Power Supply...and skip the toolkit (it doesn't have the one thing you really need...an anti-static strap).

Antec and Thermaltake both make very adequate Power Supplies and are reasonably priced. I'd also suggest going at least 450 Watts... :tazz:

wannabe1

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Could you possibly look on www.tigerdirect.ca, been looking around and I figure I might need a new case, considering my Dell Dimension 2400 case is crap I hear. There are cases that come with power supplies, but some say they are crappy and faulty, so could you please help me out? I need to send my order in rather soon.

Thought this case would be a good choice.
The ratings the two people left said it was great.

http://www.tigerdire...4&sku=TC3J-4028

There are a few more around the same price, this one in particular.

http://www.tigerdire...8&sku=TC3J-4000

Got a lot of good reviews.

Take into account what I am trying to power and fit in it when giving me your opinions on these cases with power supplies

Edited by Purgatory, 04 December 2005 - 11:21 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Purgatory...

This would be a good power supply...Thermaltake.

Cases are as much personal preference as anything. This One would be a good match for the above power supply.

Any good ATX case without a power supply would probably be ok. I prefer to make sure the PSU is of high quality and reliability so that's where I put the money...not so much the case.

If you want a real nice looking high performance case, look at the Super LanBoy by Antec. Antec makes some mighty fine Power Supplies, too.

wannabe1

Note: For the amount you want to spend, either of the cases you list above would work... :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 04 December 2005 - 11:29 PM.

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Could you possibly find me one from tigerdirect.ca under 65 bucks? haha, that would help a lot. Not trying to power too much I think. What do you think?

My old case simply won't do, its an old Dell Dimension 2400 case, its small and not a lot of ventilation.

There are a few on tigerdirect.ca that include power supplies I just need something to get by on really, and I only have about 65 bucks to spend on it. And it seems I really need a new SP for my XFX 6800 card, and the ventilation would help a lot as well. My old power supply is only a 250W, and from dell probably not a real good one. so the ones that come with some of those cases shouldn't be too bad, not trying to run a really highpowered machine remember.

Once I get my card and ram these will be my specs.

P4 2.8Ghz
1536Mbs of RAM
GeForce XFX 6800 nVidia card
An old VGC Dell monitor. (hah) but it will do.

Just trying to get a little more out of my games, and maybe run Elder Scrolls : Oblivion when it comes around.

Edited by Purgatory, 04 December 2005 - 11:37 PM.

Moose23

Moose23

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am in the same situation as you too purgatory. But i am yet to begin. It would be very useful for me if you can tell me which motherboard you switched for the old dell one?, and did you need a new fan?, also did everything install easily?....seeing how you got a dimension 2400 like me, i assume you are on a socket 478 also. Thanks :tazz: help would be appreciated