Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98SE Startup

• Please log in to reply

Mesquite

Mesquite

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have Win 98SE running and was working just fine until this morning. When I turned the computer on, the boot process started but hung up right after the Windows 98 Splash Screen. I can get into Safe Mode and have run System File Checker and found no corrupted files. I have removed the Memory Strips and re-inserted them, no help. I also ran CHKDSK and SCANDISK, but neither helped.

Thanks,
Mesquite

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mesquite...

Try rolling back the registry...This must be done from MS-Dos Mode

Click Start, then Shutdown, and select Restart in MS-Dos mode. At the DOS prompt, type scanreg /restore and press "Enter" You will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down two to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

Did this help your problem?

wannabe1

Mesquite

Mesquite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Wannabe1, Thanks for the suggestion. I ran scanreg /restore four different times, using each of the previous functioning snapshots. After rebooting, it still hangs up after the Windows 98 Splash Screen with a gray screen and a blinking dot in the upper left corner.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mesquite...

Try this Repair Reinstallation of the Operating System. It would be the logical "next step".

wannabe1

Mesquite

Mesquite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Wannabe 1,

Thanks for the link to Repair Reinstallation. Since that is a lot of work, I think that I will leave it for the last resort.

Thanks,
Mesquite

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
How about scanreg /fix

Mesquite

Mesquite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Peterm,
Thanks for the scanreg /fix suggestion. I ran that but it did not fix the problem. I discovered that I had an old backup of my registry and did a registry restore. I got the computer to boot-up, but the monitor display was at 400 X 640 and not adjustable. I got an error message that the Display Adapter was not functioning properly and needed a new driver. When I tried to connect to the Internet, I got another error message that my modem was not functioning properly and needed a new driver. I shall see if I can download and install the two drivers, then possibly I will be back in business.

Mesquite