Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering deleted photos on digi camera

• Please log in to reply

fsamimi

fsamimi

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi!

I love this site!

I had a photo on my digital camera's SD card that I deleted, but now I need to get it back. I've downloaded a bunch of free programs off the Net to try and recover it:
F-Recovery
PC Inspector Smart Recovery
eIMAGE Recovery
Easy Undelete 3.0
etc...

Each of these photos recovers the JPEG file and saves it to my hard disk. When I open the file in Explorer, the bottom half of the photo is missing - it's just cut off (gray space). The weird thing is that when I look at the thumbnail of the file in Explorer, the complete (uncut) image appears! Why can I see a complete image in the thumbnail - but not when I open the file? My layman's brain tells me that if I can see the complete image in the thumbnail, then the info for the cut-off portion of the image is stored somewhere and I could use it to fix the file so that the image is complete when I open the actual file. Is this totally off base? Any ideas? I tried attaching a WinZipped version of the JPEG at issue (800KB), but I got an error message that said I had exceeded my limit.

Thanks so much!
Farzad

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, sounds like you have run the gammit here. try standard hard drive file recovery utilities and see if they can do a better job.

don't expect to get them back however. I haven't had good luck with retrieving files from flash drivers yet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
flash drives are extremely volitile media due to the fact that they are designed to be written to and erased from on a very regular basis...usually when something is deleted...it's pretty much gone...

fsamimi

fsamimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, no luck with the other tools either. Thanks anyway and take care!

fsamimi

fsamimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey, wait a sec... I almost forgot my original question! If the data for a complete image of the JPEG is lost then how come I can see the whole image in thumbnail view?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the thumbnail view comes from a different file...there's a smal snapshot that is taken by xp and stored in a cache somewhere to help display those thumnail views...

fsamimi

fsamimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks! Do you know how I can access the small snapshot? If I could open the snapshot in Photoshop then I could copy, enlarge and paste the missing parts from the snapshot onto the damaged image. I could then play around with it in Photoshop to try and make it look better. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.

the thumbnail view comes from a different file...there's a smal snapshot that is taken by xp and stored in a cache somewhere to help display those thumnail views...