Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help Imaging Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Need Some Help

Need Some Help

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I need a some help imaging my existing 30GB 4200rpm 2.5" hard drive in my ThinkPad R50 to a newly purchased Samsung 80GB 5400rpm. I am working on a company owned laptop w/ a pre-imaged hard drive. The standard image that the unit came with has 4 Partitions.... 2 FAT 8MB Hidden, and a C and D partition. I have used Norton Ghost 9 and Acronis True Image 9 to no avail. The imaging process seems to work great with no errors, but when I move the newly imaged hard drive from the external 2.5" case to the ThinkPad and boot, it does not 'see' the operating system. I have gone through the process several times, ensuring that the MBR is properly positioned (C:), but have had not luck. I am about out of space on my existing hard drive and it's driving me nuts as why this won't work.

Since I have been busy traveling on business, I decided I would give COMPUSA a try and that turned out to be a joke. After assuring me that the could do it in a few hours, I ended up leaving it for a week while I was on the road only to come back and find that they did not have a clue.

I can only figure that there is something in those hidden partitions that is not copying.

Thanks for any help you can lend...

b

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There may be someone here that can help you with this, but I'm going to also point you to another forum. Thinkpads.com is the premiere Thinkpad forum and the experts there may be able to help you quicker. Here's the link... Thinkpads.com

Need Some Help

Need Some Help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for your response. I have tried the Thinkpad forum, but they were not much help. I would appreciate it if you would give it consideration for me. Here is some of the info on my system you might want on my IBM ThinkPad R50

----------------------
CPU-Z version 1.31
----------------------
Software
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

CPUID Output

Number of CPUs 1
Name Intel Pentium M
Code name Banias
Specification Intel® Pentium® M processor 1400MHz
Family/Model/Stepping 695
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Brand ID IBM
Package mPGA-479M
Core Stepping B1
Technology 0.13µ
Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
Features
Clock Speed 598.1 MHz
Clock multiplier x6.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 99.7 MHz
Bus Speed 398.7 MHz
Stock frequency 1400 MHz
L1 Data Cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Latency 5
L2 Speed 598.1 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 ECC Check enabled
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Chipset

Northbridge Intel i855PM rev. A3
Southbridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4-M) rev. 01
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfert Rate 4x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
AGP Aperture 256 MBytes
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Frequency 166.1 MHz (3:5)
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7

Memory SPD

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part number M4 70L6524CU0-CB3
Serial number 41034B5D
Manufacturing date Week 07/Year 05

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166
CAS# 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS# 6 7

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part number K
Serial number 01FFFF05
Manufacturing date Week 09/Year 05

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have to apologize but I am unfamiliar with both Ghost and TrueImage. I use CasperXP for cloning purposes of my Desktop (through IDE)... however, I have not had the need to clone my Thinkpad. CasperXP faqs says it will work for USB devices, but I have never tried it.

Here's an excerpt from a thread I read. Whether it will work for you, I have no idea. If you search through Google groups for "ghost thinkpad", you will get a ton of hits.

But here is a solution to my problem...
When ghosting a new bootable drive with Norton Ghost 9.0 (don't know about other
versions) do not allocate a partition on the new drive and as a destination choose
"unallocated" disk and leave the drive letter blank. Check the copy MBR and make the
drive active options and off you go!

Need Some Help

Need Some Help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sounds great with CasperXP. Unfortunately, my experience with CXP has taught me that it does not support mixed partitions, both FAT and NTFS unless something has changed.

Any of your conterparts pros with this?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Any of your conterparts pros with this?

Let me go ask for some other eyes to take a look.

Need Some Help

Need Some Help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Makai

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It may be that it is not copying the boot block. If you have the OS disk, you might try booting that and see if you can reinstall the boot block or do an install first, then copy the partitions, the install to get the boot loader installed.

You could also try to take a look at the disk with something like Knoppix or DSL OS, versions of CD bootable systems.

If it just a boot issue, not something in the system, you could use an alternate boot loader, such as grub, but I would not do than unless you want to use Linux.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
you can tell ghost to do a bit for bit copy. of course if your going to a larger hdd then you will need to expand the partion using partition magic (for example). also make sure the drive is marked active.

I've ghosted drive to drive using a desktop with ide adapter from/to usb without any issue.

if it isn't working then I would check for bad sectors on the source drive. failing that I would still launch ghost using the -fro switch.