Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Reboots When moving files

• Please log in to reply

kjohn2

kjohn2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Whenever I attempt to move files from the MyDocuments folder, the system reboots. I use WindowsXP.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry, but I just had to laugh when I read your problem! No offense really, and no insensitivity intended! It's just that I have never heard of this happening before!

So what you're saying is that when you try to drag a file from MyDocuments to another destination the computer just reboots? What about copying the file then pasting it to a different destination... same thing happen? How about if you delete a file from MyDocuments... still reboot?

Does this only happen with the MyDocuments folder? Are you able to move files between other folders just fine?

This is really weird, and I really don't have an answer for you as I've never heard of this before. Just trying to get more info. I am very interested in finding out what is causing this.

Edited by makai, 05 December 2005 - 01:25 AM.

kjohn2

kjohn2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have never heard of this either and I have had a computer since 1985! It is when I am in Windows Explorer and I am trying to move files form the hard drive (C:\mydocuments) to a cd. The system simply goes into a reboot as if I hit CtlAltDel. My system is a Gateway 700X with a Pentium 4- 2.4GHz processor, 512k cache, 512 MB RDRAM, 64MB NVIDIA GeForce MX400 AGP Graphics with DVI and TV out. The CD is a 16x/48x DVD Rom Drive and a 40x/12x/48x recordable Rewriteable CDRW.

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so it only happens when you try to drag directly to a cd? what if you move the file to a different folder?
what kind of cd burning software are you using?

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.