Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading from ME to 98 SE

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I don't think it will be a big deal, but would rather check with this board on downgrading. I got a good deal on this COMPAQ 8755C. It's a 800, 30 gig HD, 256 RAM, CD-R and DVD ROM. Should be a good X-Mas gift for my brother.

The seller didn't have the recovery disks and took off XP. He said that it will work with any Windows system.

BUT..after I bought it, told him that I was installing Windows 98 SE on it. He told me that he will send me a driver disk with everything on it for 98 SE. I checked the HP site, which is always a waste of time. To see if I could buy the recovery disks for it. Looked at this model and it said something that I have not seen before. It said that this computer was made ONLY for Windows ME. UH?? :tazz:

Is this going to be a factor? Or can I install Win 98 SE on it? Sure would be nice to give it to my brother by Christmas.

Thanks for any advise

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday season. :)

Bill

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did the computer come with the manufacture asset tag still attached to the computer? If it did, you should be able to look up/download all the drivers using the asset tag number.

I don't think you should have a problem installing Win98SE on the computer although some hardware do require the newer OS'. I would say, just try it... you have nothing to lose. Just make sure you download all the correct drivers from the Compaq site.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks makai, haven't gotten it yet, but will check the machine for the asset tag. The seller as a disk with all the drivers on it, have to wait and see.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, well post back if GTG can be of any assistance. Good luck!