Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a stupid question about cooling..

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
since overclocking needs good cooling, can i just leave my case open and have a real fan cooling my computer? It also cools me as well...will that work?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I've tried this and it does cool somewhat but it really does not help the cpu stay cooler. My case temp dropped by 8 degrees but the cpu only dropped 2 degrees. I put the cover back on after cutting a hole in the top of the case and installing a 120mm fan. The case temp only dropped 5 degrees but the cpu dropped 5 degrees also. Either way you still have to put up with more noise. I was running a athlon 2400(thorton core) @ 2200 by running the fsb up to 148. at 150 fsb it was becoming unstable and rebooting by itself. No problems at 148 but the temp runs at 55 degrees. I am steppin up to the 3000 processor when i can afford it simply because this is easier than running overclocked. Why run at the edge when you can run faster for a little more money.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That wont work as well as you think as it would disrupt the airflow which is what you are trying to maximise to cool the cpu. The best thing to do it to add another fan to the case in the proper direction of the flow all ready in the PC or get a CPU duct and fit it.

A cpu duct is essentially just isolating the cpu from the rest of the airflow and giving it its own dedicated fan, usually keeps the cpu cooler and draws the cpu heat away from the rest of the system(depending on the direction of the fan).

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
sry about the triple posts...i guess my IE isnt working..

Edited by PANCAK3, 05 December 2005 - 05:22 PM.

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
ok... thanks for the tips...

Right now i am thinking of doing some serious overclocking for my P4 1.4GHZ with 128ram...

My comp lives for 5 years now...almost 6

Can ppl give me some advice on whether to overclock my comp, or just simply buy a new one with dual core...

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
ok... thanks for the tips...

Right now i am thinking of doing some serious overclocking for my P4 1.4GHZ with 128ram...

My comp lives for 5 years now...almost 6

Can ppl give me some advice on whether to overclock my comp, or just simply buy a new one with dual core...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it would probably be in your best interest to buy a new machine...as you will only be able to get a limited increase in speed by overclocking....plus the over clocking will shorten the life of the machne...if you're planning on buying a new machine...you can still keep the old one for messing around with...and over clocking and what not...jut for fun

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
The reason why normal case fane ar bettr is because it draws air in from the front of the case, and out the back, thus passing the drives, mobo, cpu etc and out either by the psu, or standard vent. Disrupt this airflow by fitting a fan wrong or something, and the "coolness" of your case will be compramised.