Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port creating havoc!

• Please log in to reply

iamkapilb

iamkapilb

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello all,
I have a 3 year old machine. P4 1.6Ghz, running on p4m266 Via motherboard by HIS: OS- Win XP Pro with SP2. It has 2 USB ports.
Only one of 2 USB port works. The computer runs fine untill i connect any USB device to the functioning USB port. As soon as i connect a usb device XP notifies me that usb device is not recognised via Ballon tip in taskbar. Although the device connected in the working port is fine and is detected by the computer and functions properly, this message about something connected in the other port keeps on popping up.
This really slows down the computer. In the taskmanager i can see 100% cpu utilisation and everything comes to a crawl.
Ideally i connect my USB DSL modem, so i have to deal with a slower pc when ever i am on the net.
If i keep PC for overnight download, PC becomes soooo slow that it takes ages to unlock the machine in the morning.
Please help me out. Is there a way that CPU utilization be decreased? or XP doesn't keep on checking the faulty USB port?
Same things are exhibited when i connect Bluetooth/Camera to the Port, so its not related to modem.

Please help.

Regards,
Kapil

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, scroll down to universal serial bus controllers, click + then right click one, click uninstall, click all of them and click uninstall until none show, reboot. As Windows loads it will re-install the ports which may cure this

If no change you could use a 4 - 7 port powered hub in the good USB port then go back to universal serial bus controllers, right click the one that does not work then click disable, click apply and reboot

iamkapilb

iamkapilb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply Keith. Well i tried doing what u said.. but all in vain.
Found a solution to my problem, got myself a NIC! Now i dont use that [bleep] USB port anymore. PC runs fine.

Thanks for the help again.

Regards,
Kapil

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know another way of resolving this type of error

You can look at installing a good quality USB 2 with firewire card