Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Get Rid of SpyAxe Toolbar in Internet Expl

• Please log in to reply

MJW

MJW

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have McAffee Security Center. I've ran the virus scan in Safe Mode. I've used AdAware SE, CWShredder and ewido security suites. I do not have Hijack-This (do I need to purchase it?). It seems like I've cleared most of it (my homepage is now MSN instead of the SpyAxe junk) however, I still have the SpyAxe Toolbar.

I used the "free scan" from Hijack-This (Spyware Cleaner) but in order to clear it, I need to purchase it for $49.95. I'd rather not...if I can clear it some other way, however, I'll do what I have to do.

Any advice would be sooooo greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~MJW :tazz: :)

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

You may want to get rid of Spyware Cleaner. It is a "rogue" anti-spyware. For more information about it, see The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

HijackThis does not cost. If you have to pay, you have the wrong thing. McAffee is not a very good anti-virus, at least in my opinion.

Please follow the direction at this address:

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

You can clean a good bit of infections by following the directions there. If you still have problems when you get to step 5, start a topic in the Malware Forum so you can get cleaned by a malware expert. If your problem is not resolved after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue to troubleshoot your problem.