Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot up problem

• Please log in to reply

stormycloud

stormycloud

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yesterday i was workiung on a computer trying to get the printer to work as I was doing so it froze up so I shut the machine off and restarted it but it won't post and the screen wont show anything.
so I unpluged it, let it sit overnight and it started to post then immediately went to setup screen and said that the cpu speed was set too high and it halted the system. inorder to get this to happen you have to shut the machine down for at least 20 minutes in order to get to the setup function again in which i set all paramaters to default but still does not boot any ideas???? confused and frustrated

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sounds like your bios got corrupted. Or, maybe your motherboard battery is dead... which would be a much better situation!

How old is the computer?

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the computer is relatively new it has an asus motherboard with a p4 intel processor and 1/2 gig of ram

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you able to get past post? Is the computer halting during Windows load?

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no I can't get past post when I reset the default values in setup, save & exit the computer continues to run but nothing comes on the screen

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
During bootup, the bios will check certain things... ram, vidcard, processor,etc. If all checks are good, you will hear a single beep then the computer will continue booting. Do you hear that single beep?

If not, it could be that one or more hardware devices are not posting back to the bios. The best way to isolate the problem is to remove all non-essential coonections... printers, scanners, etc. then try restarting. If that doesn't work, then the next step is to start removing internal hardware until all that is left is the motherboard, vidcard, ram, processor.

This is the typical troubleshooting steps to take.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you say you reset the bios to defaults....does this machine have an onboard video card and an expansion type video card? (pci or agp?)

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I do not hear the single beep in fact now in order to get it to do anything it seems I have to remove the cooling fan, remove the cpu, re-install it then sometimes it will start to post but then just switches to setup mode and that is as far as I can get. I do not have any other periferals plugged in other than keyboard mouse & monitor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
remove the ram and try to boot up...do you get a beep now?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is not sounding good. I know you say you have no other peripherals plugged in, but do you have any PCI cards, modems, sound, etc, still on the motherboard. You need to remove them. Also, do you happen to have another stick of ram you can swap in instead of the one you're currently using?

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I removed the ram and still no beeps, I will now remove all pci cards etc. and try that

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you remove the ram and get no beeps, then your bios is probably hosed.

Go ahead and remove all the pci cards though. As a last ditch effort, you may need to remove the entire motherboard out of the chassis to ensure there are no motherboard to chassis shorts occuring. Then power up outside the chassis with just the processor, ram, vidcard, mouse, keyboard and monitor attached. Be sure you watch out not to short out any power supply leads as everything will be exposed. Oh yah, you will need to remove the powersupply from the chassis too so the leads will reach the motherboard.

It does look like your motherboard is fried though, but don't give up yet!

Edited by makai, 05 December 2005 - 12:13 PM.

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the worst is confirmed the motherboard is fried. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry to hear that. At least we tried!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
valiant effort!...sorry we couldn't revive the machine...but...a hosed MOBO...well...it's not really fixable..