Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Installation Error

• Please log in to reply

Dan - Phoenix

Dan - Phoenix

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
wondering if anyone can help. i have an old pc lying around and have decided that i need an internal server, for many reasons, website testing, network issues etc etc.

decided that because the system requirements do not meet those for windows server 2k3, then i would install windows 98 on there instead.

when i installed it onto the system, installation seemed to be fine, all files were copied etc etc but when i get to booting windows after the install, i get an error.

"Windows 98 protection error. vmm32.vxd File missing / cannot be read" something along the lines of that

now ive researched this on the net and someone sed that its a problem with the drivers for my hardware or something.

i havent a clue what to do. i e managed so far to open it up in safe mode and figured that if i foud a copy of the file on the internet that this may work BUT i also now know that apparently it is system specific so i wont be able to do this...

anyone shed some light???

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi Dan - Phoenix, Welcome to GTG !! :)

here are a few places to check :

Vmm32.vxd (1)

Vmm32.vxd (2)

Hope these help!! :tazz:

Dan - Phoenix

Dan - Phoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
no luck im affraid... id seen those sites b4 and tried to use them but im no further in my quest

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
When you boot into Windows, did you boot into Normal Mode with the CD out of the CDROM dive ??

here is another look:

vmm32.vxd

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you by any chance do a thorough diagnostic check of the hard drive? Scandisk is good, but it doesn't catch everything. I recommend getting a diagnostic boot flopppy from the hard drive makers website, and running it on older drives.