Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is there a way to run aproposfix.exe manually from another computer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, great forum you have here and I look forward to using your aproposfix.exe.

I have 3 clients computers that had the device manager blank and the Windows XP Upgrade or Repair problem of hanging at 33 minutes.

One of the computers, is half way between the upgrade process from 2000 into XP so safe mode is not an option.
I went through the RunThis.bat and I understand most. But I obviously can not understand the compiled programs like greg.exe

So, is there any way to do what your programs do manually when I put the hard dive into another computer?

Now even through I do this for a living, I am doing these three computers for FREE, (Warranty work because they were not right when I finished them and the device manager was blank on them. I never checked it :) :tazz:) Ya, so they are getting their $99 worth and I would really like to learn about this tough one so I can serve the people I help better.
I only do a fresh install for the LAST resort because I actually care about them having to spend DAYS reinstalling all their programs and getting everything back to they way they like it.

Thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so these are computers that you have sold to someone...and are doing warranty service on them? do you run a computer shop? (or effectively run a computer shop by building machines for people?)

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I fix computers and do networking etc. We do most of our work remotely so they do not get bothered by people coming into their house or loosing their computer to some repair shop.

Mainly I deal with spyware and virus clean up and protection. We have a flat rate fix and an automated process and we guarentee that they will not get infected or have to deal with virues or spyware for one year. On three computers that I cleaned up, protected from spyware and virues, I had to pick the computers up because the damage that was caused by the virus or spyware, left the customer with no Device Manager and doing a repair or upgrade would hang at 33 minutes.

So, to honor my guarantee, I am fixing them for free. :tazz: I thought they were OK when I finished them but I never checked the device manager nor was I aware of the problem back then. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
check our Terms Of Service

• We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

Edited by dsenette, 05 December 2005 - 02:43 PM.

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am doing these jobs for free and I am trying to prevent having to reinstall fresh and loose all their settings and installed programs. I will refund their money. I have already done that with the first one because I gave up and installed fresh! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
sit tight

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have changed your display name so it no longer reflects a competing tech site. Per out Terms of Service, you may post a text link to a site in your signature of normal text size.

Because you work for a company who charges for their service, we will not be able to offer you assistance, even if this time you are doing it for free. If your users prefer to have free service, feel free to give them our name.

ScHwErV :tazz:

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you. I will sit tight. I just did a charge back on one. The other one was a check so I will do it when I drop it off.

About your free policy. Would a Dr. go to school and then never charge the people they are helping?

I do help people for free all the time but they remember my help and they would not be able to understand your site.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that's not the issue...it's against the site's TOS to help anyone who charges for these services (whether you're doing this one for free or not) since you work for another malware removal company that charges for the removal...we can't help you

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I have changed your display name so it no longer reflects a competing tech site. Per out Terms of Service, you may post a text link to a site in your signature of normal text size.

Because you work for a company who charges for their service, we will not be able to offer you assistance, even if this time you are doing it for free. If your users prefer to have free service, feel free to give them our name.

hey now, I was even talking to the admin about advertising on your site. Don't be rude man. I have no problem with the name change but to NOT offer help when I am just tying to help some people and learn.
You have a donation button. :)

Please help me help them.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Not rude, simply enforcing the rules of the site.

The rules are if you work for a company who charges for computer work, we cannot offer our services.

Sorry

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Rules?

Why is is that this site wont help others who are trying to help the average user?
Why is it that you will find your batch file or the link on most forums and your batch file is complicated with NO explanation?
Why is it?

Well, this site is a business, even if you and other techs give away your advice and help for "free" the owner of this site is getting more and more people to come to it and use it.. Why, MONEY!
Advertisements, donations .. WE :tazz:

At least my site is upfront.. We will fix any computer problem, install protection that works, clean up the system, speed up the system, all for $99 flat rate and we include the cost of the software and we offer a one year guarentee...

Yes, you guys help people, but your "rules" are a crock and it just gives people a lure to reel people in to increase your numbers to get advertisers to pay more.

Your site can help the above average user but it is still to complicated for most.

After realizing that the programs included in your "fix" are just glorified text editors and a zip program, I was able to use the info in your batch file to fix them. "adchannel"

Edited by 911PCFIX, 05 December 2005 - 10:42 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Well, this site is a business, even if you and other techs give away your advice and help for "free" the owner of this site is getting more and more people to come to it and use it.. Why, MONEY!
Advertisements, donations .. WE

admin created this site for his love of helping and his hatred of malware and viruses....any money brought in by advertising and donations is used for supporting the site....

you also mentioned donations as a form of payment...donations aren't payment...not only are they volluntary...the just go to further the site...

you're right...some of the programs and fixes used here are a little bit over the head of a normal user...that's why we have malware experts to walk them through the process...most good malware fixes are dangerous....if they were made easy to use..then people's computer's would be getting fried every day.....

besides...with the knowledge you've shown so far (or the lack there of)....i doubt you're capable of following instructions anyway....not only has a staff member told you our forum rules...but an admin has as well....get it through your skull...we won't help support your business...it's a forum rule...like it or not....

911PCFIX

911PCFIX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
First off, I don't need your help. As I already stated, I figured it out through the batch file, after I realized that the compiled programs were just text editors.

If you guys are so great, why can't you offer one year of protection from any spy ware and virus? Even new ones that are not caught by the protection programs yet? I have looked through your forums and time and time again, they are getting reinfected. Our system is bullet proof.

Now, did I get personal? I simply stuck to my disagreement with the rules and the fact that the site is driven by money, just like any other site.

Now, I never did get personal, nor did I insult you.
If I were to have gotten personal, I would have said things like.....
"This religious crusade you are on is a crock. This site is just using you and your knowledge to bump up their traffic. It is FEEDING off of the poor victims of spyware and manipulating your good-yet foolish heart."
Or "You are the type of kid I used to beat up in school"
Or "You spend too much time in fantasy land and if you had a life, you would not be here"
Or "You define this web sites name very well"
Now, I would not say such things because I am not interested in waisting my time on some techy war.

Just like many other web sites like this, that have come and gone, this one will be sold or turn to offer service for money. It is just a matter of time.

I do want to thank you though, thanks to geeksquad and sites like yours, it has made my business boom.
Lack of social sense and the whole geek theme, drives them home to me where they are taken care of and protected from all the bad things out there.

Well, I am done. I was able to get what I needed and I was able to state reality. Have a great life.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

First off, I don't need your help

then why did you post here?

I have looked through your forums and time and time again, they are getting reinfected. Our system is bullet proof.

so your system stops people from going to websites that infect their computers with spyware/malware? THATS GREAT...you guys must be worth millions...do you have publicly traded stock? have you patteted that technology? have you concidered talking to microsoft to integrate your "system" into windows?

there's no such thing as bulletproof...new virii (and mutations of old ones) are written every day...it's not possible to stop people from being infected.

Even new ones that are not caught by the protection programs yet?

we do offer this....if someone comes in with a new infection...we have a large team that investigates all new infections to the best of their ability (in fact...some of these people had a large hand in writing some of the tools that you use)...

get your facts straight