Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 2: DirectX unrecoverable error...HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Vidi_B

Vidi_B

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After installing COD2 I get a DirectX Error box, saying DirectX® encountered an unrecoverable error. Check DirectX® FAQs. These tell me to install DirectX(9.0c) and so I did. No change. It told me to make sure all Background Tasks were stopped. I did that too. Nothing. I have an onboard Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family. I assume this is not good enough. Am I right? But then I installed EA Sports Soccer 06 and then I get a repetitive sound, and not able to pick a team, as it is scrolling out of control! This game supposedly IS supported by Intel 910GL... what's happening?? Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nope there isnt any of the intel chipsets for gfx that can play COD2, the big thing is they arent meant to play games, most games need DX9 and the intel integrated gfx dont support it. And even when a thing does get going it wont work well as the intel onboard chipsets arent really meant to do anything more graphically intensive than basic autocad and picture editing.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Buy a new video card that you can actually play games with. Integrated sucks really bad.

Vidi_B

Vidi_B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
WarriorScot, thank you muchly for the tips. I feared as much. I guess the next question that begs answering is which of the umpteen chipsets should I buy considering I am a cheap skate, and really don't want to sell my left nad to play a [bleep] computer game! By the way, Edinburgh Uni? Hey, I'm a former KB Kid!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

WarriorScot, thank you muchly for the tips. I feared as much. I guess the next question that begs answering is which of the umpteen chipsets should I buy considering I am a cheap skate, and really don't want to sell my left nad to play a [bleep] computer game! By the way, Edinburgh Uni? Hey, I'm a former KB Kid!

lol

Find out if you have pci express or either agp so we can help you.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, great go KB, im up there as well, Exam time at the moment, i should really be studying for engineering, lol. Find out if it is PCI- express or AGP you have, you can use CPU-Z to find out just google it.

After that we can get you through picking a new card, there are a few good budget ones.

cenp

cenp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm getting this exact same error and i really don't know what to do, i re-installed DX9c, 81.95, the whole game... i only could play the first level, the training thing and stuff, but after that i got this error and the only way i can play is by setting the DirectX 7 instead, on the graphci settings of course... so what can i do ?? any suggestions ???

THanx

Edited by cenp, 06 December 2005 - 07:56 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do ypou mind making your own thread cenp, and make sure you read through all the other COD2 threads first as well the answer is probably in there.

We dont like helping more than one member per thread it gets confusing, and post your full system specs if you make your own thread.

Vidi_B

Vidi_B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks guys. In reading through some other threads, and getting some insight online, I have found out that although my computer is great at many things, gaming isn't one of them. Who would have thought?! Reason being that in order to upgrade, I only have the PCI option. I know that COD2 will not be played optimally with a PCI card, but will it still play well enough? What would be a good cheapish card, say $60 max! (told you, I'm a cheap skate. Actually, I don't play games that much and so don't want to pay too much for all this). Cheers.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nothing PCI is going to play COD2, remote possibility a PCI FX5500 (good luck finding one, very rare card) but its going to be unplayable even at low settings, you would be as well playing the original COD it will probably look better on a PCI card. Games are weird like that some cards try and play games that they really shouldnt but they look worse than older games they were supposed to replace.

A PCI fx 5200 is really cheap and it would let you play some slightly older games reasonably, they cant handle anything much past C&C generals or the sims 2 really, they will play HL2 at a barely playable level at a push but thats about it.

Sorry i cant help you any more than that, PCI really sucks when it comes to graphics cards.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
fx 5500 pci 256mb

found at tigerdirect.com

http://www.tigerdire...0540&CatId=1603

It will play call of duty 2 but dont expect any anti alias or high settings.

Low to medium settings without any anti alias or antistrophic.

Vidi_B

Vidi_B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

fx 5500 pci 256mb
found at tigerdirect.com
http://www.tigerdire...0540&CatId=1603
It will play call of duty 2 but dont expect any anti alias or high settings.

Low to medium settings without any anti alias or antistrophic.

What exactly does this mean? anti alias? antistrophic? Will the game look like a piece of [bleep]? Should I just dump it, and get COD? Will my Intel onboard card play COD well?? At all?? thanks again guys.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Cod2 will run decent with the card I listed. Medium detail without the antistrophic filter and aniti alias.
It will look decent.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Regular cod and cod uo will run on an intel extreme onboard video but I still recommend upgrading the video card for that also.

For Regular Call of duty to run on the intel onboard you will have to lower some of the settings in the game so the game doesnt freeze up after a few mins...

I know this, I have seen regular cod play on an intel onboard video card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On the 5500 CoD2 will only look slightly better than the orginal CoD would, games look as good as the hardware can manage.

Many games now have really had good scalability this means they can "dumb down" the effects and AI etc. so it can be playable on older less advanced systems, not sure how good CoD 2 is on that front. A good example is i had a loan of painkiller at a LAN party and i was playing it on my old system and i swear it had gfx like the original quake games, but when i stuck it on my new one it played great with modern gfx.

But if you can get hold of a PCI 5500 that would be a big improvement over what you have but the PCI slot is going to bottleneck the card a bit as well. But they are amazingly hard to find plenty of 5200s about but they wouldnt do the job.

AA and AF filtering are used to make the detail in the game smoother the basically run over each frame the card puts out and tidies up all the sharpedges and makes things look nicer and more realistic.