Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Ram won't work

• Please log in to reply

bootch42

bootch42

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an HP m370n Media center PC. It has XP Media Center Edt. OS, with 512 mb ram standard.
The HP site says that the motherboard accepts DDR400/PC3200, DDR333/PC2700, or DDR266/PC2100 Dimms. I bought what is supposed to be 512 mb DDR400/pc2700 Ram from a guy off ebay. When I stick the new ram in the pc doesn't see it. I go in under the setup screen and it only sees my old 2 sticks of 256 mb each.
Can anyone please help me? I would really appreciate it. I don't know what to do.
Thanks,
Bruce

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The biggest stick should go in slot one, while you are there you may as well just leave the new stick in on its own to see what the PC does

bootch42

bootch42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope i tried to start the pc with only the new ram. It wouldn't startup. I guess that means the ram is not the right type. I don't know why it won't work, I bought 512 mb ddr400/pc3200 ram that is supposed to fit according to this page: http://h10025.www1.h...c00040074&lc=en
I was hoping somebody might be able to suggest something that might help me.
Thanks, Bruce

bootch42

bootch42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The ram I bought is Dimm does that matter. Do I need two of these for them to work?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Do you know what pin your RAM is? 184... etc

Also, the RAM could just be defective... Thats why I wouldn't buy those type of things off of eBay...

Edited by Comrade General, 20 December 2005 - 07:24 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Also, the RAM could just be defective... Thats why I wouldn't buy those type of things off of eBay...

Yep to that, ebay and most computer parts = trouble and you really don't get any better deal than at newegg or zipzoomfly

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Yep to that, ebay and most computer parts = trouble and you really don't get any better deal than at newegg or zipzoomfly

Or tigerdirect. :tazz:

Also, are sure the memory you bought was DDR? You could of bought DDR2 or something else and that would cause a problem...

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ddr 2 shouldn't fit into a ddr dimm. it's 240 pins as opposed to 184. If it fits, it's probably the right stuff. I'd say it's most likely dead ram. Your best bet is to find another system to test it in or go to a computer shop and tell them you'll give em 5 bucks to test the memory. lol.

/edit

512 mb DDR400/pc2700 Ram

take from first post
If that's what he said, then he doesn't know memory...that doesn't exist. it's either dd400 pc3200 or ddr333 pc2700. It can't be both. Sounds like you got a sketchy deal...I'd get my money back if possible (and check out newegg, zipzoomfly, or circuit city if you live near one. cc is selling 512 mb pc3200 for 25 bucks after rebates!! lol. decent deal!

Edited by sr71000, 21 December 2005 - 10:28 PM.

bootch42

bootch42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Its ddr400/pc 3200 i messed up the first post

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the ram that you have buffered or un bufferend? is it ecc or no?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
according to the manual...it must be unbuffered...and a max size of 512...but i'm still reading

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00042294.pdf

page 193 of the manual

bootch42

bootch42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice!! I now have 512 mb of Kingston working in py pc thanks for the headsup about the sale at Circuit City!!! :) :tazz: