Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Booting?

• Please log in to reply

Apocalypse Cow

Apocalypse Cow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay Heres the deal.....My computer in various stages of booting ...shuts down like its a power failure or something...meaning its not giving any errors just shuts off to black screen

This is what ive tried...brought computer down to bare minimum 1 stick ram , vid card, cd/rom, and hd
have changed ps out to known good one...its not ps

i cant get into safe mode gives vax347.sys error then i go continue...shuts down same thing

have tried to reformat with cd ...have tried to do a norton ghost image reinstall.....neither can i get thru do to same problem.

this is what ive come to either mb problem or a cpu overheating prob? i have checked to see if cpu fan is working its fine i have copper core heat sync with a intel p4 640 chip 775 chipset....the only other thing i can think is possibly a mb battery?

can anyone help? PLS? :tazz:

Advertisements

Apocalypse Cow

Apocalypse Cow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
okay im 1 step further ive tracked it down to being a heat issue 97C in the bios it is showing that for temp...but is it the mb or the chip?.....the chip has compound and has been reseated?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The bios tells you what temp it is either cpu or other like pwm or system, these two are usually mobo temps.
Your right that temp is to high for a cpu temp, some times if you apply to much thermal paste it can have a reverse affect and cause the cpu to overheat a thin coat is best.

When you reset the heatsink or cpu did you clean and apply new thermal compound?

Rick

Apocalypse Cow

Apocalypse Cow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes to new compound and cleaning and no to too much
it is also not the mb battery thats been checked w/ volt meter
i have a friend who is willing to bring his 775 chip in and let me check it that should bring it the step further i need....illl let you guys know what i find out ...but any "opinions" from higher sources would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Apocalypse Cow, 06 December 2005 - 02:12 PM.

GaMbitoXXI

GaMbitoXXI

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You obviously do have a temperature problem but mayb also one with Alcohol 120%? I think the file mentioned in the error message, vax347.sys, is created during installation of said software, and I got a similar issue soon after installing it, solved it getting rid of it; windows wouldnt finish bootin, u could see it wasnt a power failure bcause although there were no error messages and the screen just went black, the monitor didnt go into standby as it does when it stops getting any signal from cpu, mayb thats what happens to u? I could not enter into safe mode either until I aborted running of file vax347.sys during boot (pressing esc, in my case I got a prompt at the right moment, but u got to b quick, it stays for a couple of seconds then goes on to run the fyle and gets blocked). Once in safe mode I went straight to system restore and took it back to right bfore the installation of Alcohol 120%, since it wouldnt uninstall in safe mode. If u know how to uninstall it in safe mode, dont wantto loose configuration changes done in the meantime etc, u can find an explanation on how to manually remove what uninstallation leaves behind (which includes the conflictive files) here:
http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=21955
or here:
http://club.cdfreaks...ad.php?t=117238
Hey im a total newbie but hope im of some help this time :tazz: !

Apocalypse Cow

Apocalypse Cow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx fer the info gambit....ill get back to yall after rma"s come back :tazz:

Edited by Apocalypse Cow, 10 December 2005 - 06:59 PM.