Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Which hard drive should i choose for my new computer??

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 200GB 7200rpm 16MB buffer - MA200GB/16MB

OR

Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s - ST3160812AS

I like the maxtor because of its 16mb bufer but i also liked the Seagate because of 3Gb/s transfer.
Which onn shhu di choose. PLZ HELP

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would go with the maxtor, but here for ten pounds mroe is the 250GB maxtor diamond max 10 with the 16mb cache and its SATA2 which means it has the same speed as the seagate drive.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I like Seagate, the Barracuda range has been very good and quiet. The size of the hard drive buffer on the Maxtor drive is, for 98% of computer users, overkill.

But having said that, the claim on the seagate drive of 3Gb/s a second is pretty impressive BUT that will depend on many other factors. Plus that drive has an 8Mb buffer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The extra buffer is good for gaming.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah that extra buffer is an extra bonus for us gamers.

*Git-R-Done* guys

warriorscot
Neil Jones
afg34

:tazz:

Edited by jrm20, 06 December 2005 - 05:57 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
?? im sure thats funny im just not getting it.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, its a saying in the usa that a comedian made up. I forgot you dont live in the usa. Everyone here knows about it lol.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
http://pccyber.ca/sc...duct_types_id=9

I dont think thats sata2. Anyways if this is not performance wise better than the 200gb version then i will go with the 200 gb version.

THNX for help guys

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wrong drove there, the on im meaning is on overclockers.co.uk, you should be able to get the model number from there if you want to check the drive out.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
The last 4 computers I have built I have recommended the Seagate Barracuda. I have 2 myself in my current computer. Not only are they 10x quieter than the Maxtor, for me they had less slow downs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah drives are weird things, you rarely seem to get two identical ones, i know people who have had lots of maxtor drives fail but i also know people who havent had a single one fail. And ive seen the same happen in alot of drives, i am never going to get another seagate drive myself after i had one burst its fluid bearing and soak the inside of my computer, fortunately the bearing was a non conductive fluid otherwise i would have been in big bother.

I usually just go with the cheapest and thats almost always maxtor for me although i was tempted by the samsung spinpoint and its rave reviews, but the things are rarer than hens teeth and arent cheap.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I heard similar complaints. My family likes Maxtor because when I build them PCs they go for cheap or Dell. Maxtor has always been a complaint for me. They are loud, overheat veery fast, and fail often. The old SeaGates weren't very good. I remember an old 75 GB SeaGAte (was big) back in the day. It sucked major [bleep]. With the new Barracuda drives, they are fast, noiseles, and haven't let me down once.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i cant say a word wrong for any of the Diamonmax 9 or 10 drives i have had, the older ones were pretty bad for failing, but drives just werent as good back then.