Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mobo powers on but no post

• Please log in to reply

tinsky

tinsky

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an intel mobo (D865GLC). I put a new 400W power supply in because it would not power up. It powers on and the CPU fan is running but I get no post. I do have a red LED on the mobo but I have done hours of research and cannot find out if that red light denotes an error or if it is suppose to be on. Up until 2 days ago the computer was working fine. LIke I said it stopped powering on so I replaced the power supply.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

T

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Are you getting any beeps?

Your board has onboard video, if you are using it try a video card if you have one or can barrow one to see if the onboard video has failed.

Likewise if you are using a video card try the onboard to see if you get anything but you may have to turn this on in bios if it was disabled when the card was installed.

Rick

tinsky

tinsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the responce! I have tried a video card as the mobo does have integrated video but this did not work either. I do not get any beeps at all just a cpu fan and a green and red led light on the mobo.

Maybe more detail would help:

It started shutting off on its own about a week ago and before that it did freeze up a bit. I figured it was the cpu fan so when I finally had time I opened it up and put a new power supply in as by the time I opened it up it would not power on. I started with the power supply thinking I would have to also replace the cpu fan but it fired right up after I replaced the PSU. This is where I am.

I guess I hate to think it could be my processor but if the processor is bad wouldn't I get posting beeps?

Thanks for your help!

T

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
posting beeps with a bad cpu depending on the board is hit or miss so basically you can't depend on it.

I also could not find any info on the red light at least not on the intel website.

Did it ever have video with the new psu?

go here
for some tips from intel, pay special attention to using the correct power supply:avoid no boot/lock ups.

If you remove the ram and power on, do you get any beeps, if so this usually indicates the mother board is good, if not remove all cards and drives and try and get into bios if you can get into bios the it would be a bad drive or card, if not it would be the ram, mobo, cpu or psu. So if you could try different ram that would eliminate that, then if you could try a known working psu that could eliminate that.

All that would be left would be mobo or cpu hard to tell witch but when a board won't beep my 1rst guess is always the mobo.

Rick