Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Winsock smss.exe major problems

• Please log in to reply

beer_buggy

beer_buggy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Wonder if anyone could possibly lend a solution or 6 to my problems...

I am new to this forum, so bear with me,I by no means am a puter geek!!

My comp was left vacant for a period of time where no updates or virus scans were performed.I am pretty sure I have a large amount of viruses.I have tried to start thru the start up list as provided by this site,successfully making it thru winsock fix and cleanup.When I try to download ad aware or any other download,my connection gets cut off and it states that I have a winsock error in smss.exe...I have checked my firewalls and at this point cant use any virus protect because of a fault in active X...

Can anyone point me in the right direction without telling me my puter would make a good boat anchor?

John

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
beer_buggy...

You could try a couple of on-line virus scans such as Panda Active Scan or Trend Micro Housecall and see if they will run.

I would highly recommend that you go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

beer_buggy

beer_buggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
wannabe1

Ty for your reply...I tried to do the start here stuff that is supposed to be done 1st but because i am having download problems i am unable to complete this section.

I have tried to download trend micro and panda for scans but because of my download problems they too are unable to even download let alone scan.

I will go to malware forum to see what can be done.

ty John

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good plan...

Many times the experts there have ways of working around problems such as yours. If they feel they need to get your machine running better before helping you, they will send you back here, but that is a rarity. If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware folks, post back to this thread and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of your problems...

Good luck... :tazz:

wannabe1