Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious POST failure, infuriating, no options left

• Please log in to reply

dpearse

dpearse

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This is an infuriating problem. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it and yet the problem just keeps coming back. The weird thing is that it's totally random and unpredictable. I'll start with the system:

Gigabyte G8VT800M
A64 3000+
Corsair ValueSelect 1024 mb PC-3200
eVGA 6800GT
Seagate HDD
500W Rosewill (no it's not a POS) PS

It works perfectly when it's on. Perfectly. I can run ultra-high end games without a hitch. The problem comes when I am forced to restart or otherwise power down. What happens next varies, so I'll outline a few facts:

-The computer will sound like it's booting normally except there's no health beep and the monitor reads "NO SIGNAL"

-I swear and manually power it down and back on. It then almost always starts and gives a long-short-short (VGA) beep code. There is nothing wrong with the video card or the monitor as I have tested both in other systems.

-I restart again and it does the above. Repeat.

-I turn it off after a beep code and leave it plugged in. A random amount of time later (seconds to minutes), it TURNS ITSELF BACK ON. And beeps again. I scream.

-It usually then boots normally if I leave it unplugged for 24-36 hours and then try to boot again. I have no idea why.

-Today it has been off for almost 48 hours and it still won't boot

The last time it stayed dead for this long, I replaced the crappy generic power supply with the nicer one I have now. It worked perfectly for a week and then this started happening again.

I replaced the motherboard, thinking this could be the problem. The replacement was the revision 2.0 version of the board above. I try to boot with and without peripherals, and there's no POST or error codes of any kind. All of the components start up, though. The monitor doesn't get a signal at all. Here's what's certain:

The VGA is fine.
The PSU is fine and stable.
As far as I can tell the HDD is fine.
All components have power.
No shorts.
Temperature is fine.

The only thing left is the RAM, really... but what confuses me is that sometimes it works fine. I've switched sticks, tried one, nothing. Pretty much the only way this could be happening is if there was some sort of defect in this series of motherboards. I don't know.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Its almost as though its something to do with bios, when this occurs will it boot if you clear bios by removing the battery, my thinking is maybe the battery is weak but still supplying some voltage but the cmos maybe partically cleard/corupt then after the 36 hour period the cmos is cleared allowing a boot.

I duno its a stretch but its all I can come up with and easy to test.

Rick

dpearse

dpearse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Its almost as though its something to do with bios, when this occurs will it boot if you clear bios by removing the battery, my thinking is maybe the battery is weak but still supplying some voltage but the cmos maybe partically cleard/corupt then after the 36 hour period the cmos is cleared allowing a boot.

I duno its a stretch but its all I can come up with and easy to test.

Rick

This might be the case, but the roughly the same thing occurs on a brand new motherboard. Does anyone know of any problems like this with the GAK8M800 (Triton) series?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea I thought about that, maybe a bad batch of batteries who knows and worth a shot because I have herd of no such issues with that board

wyv621

wyv621

• Pip
  • 1 posts

This is an infuriating problem. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it and yet the problem just keeps coming back. The weird thing is that it's totally random and unpredictable. I'll start with the system:

The only thing left is the RAM, really... but what confuses me is that sometimes it works fine. I've switched sticks, tried one, nothing. Pretty much the only way this could be happening is if there was some sort of defect in this series of motherboards. I don't know.

Any ideas?

I had a similar situation and found that the second power connector to the motherboard was loose. All the fans would spin up, but no POST. After securing the connection, normal functions resumed.