Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a PCI USB Card

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I recently bought a 2 port USB 2.0 Card fr my laptop. And seeing as it didn't come with drivers, I can;t get it working. Everything OI read says look for drivers(which ones?) or update the BIOS(Can't even figure out the stupid password..)...so, anything I can do to get it working?

I'm running Windows ME on a HP Omnibook 2000CS, and HP's website certainly isn't helpful..

Advertisements

DeathsRevenge

DeathsRevenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
They should have a model number somewhere on the cards, and if they don't, the box should specify. Then just goto their site and download the drivers. (It should be either in tiny text on the card, or on a sticker that's on the card)

Or, what sometimes works is, installing them and then doing a Windows Update.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
No model number, no box...XD Can't do windows update, because it's not connected to the net.

DeathsRevenge

DeathsRevenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is your OS.

Windows ME can cause [bleep] with compatibility issues.

I've never used it before, but it's possible that USB Add-On cards aren't supported.

I would try and put them into an XP machine and see if they are recognized.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yes, ME is a nuisance...but I don't even have a another laptop with XP on anyways...otherwise this wouldn't be a problem..XD

DeathsRevenge

DeathsRevenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, if you know of anyone with an XP Laptop, try it out in theres.

Otherwise, you said it was a PCI USB Card, you could try it in a desktop as well.

Also, where did you buy it and how was it packaged?

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
From what I can tell, it would only slot into a laptop PCMCIA drive...so yeah.

Off eBay, in protective envelope. No instructions, CD or original Box.

DeathsRevenge

DeathsRevenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I would check the Title and the Description of the card to find the Model #

Check to see if there's anything stating it's bad or "NR" (No Return - Generally means bad)

Contact the Seller with the question.

There's also a chance it's a bad card. I'm doubting it, since it seems like a driver problem, but I would leave that option open. Well I'm off for tonight.

Hope that helps
-Drew

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
It's a little no-name brand thing made in taiwan...XD And the seller reckons it's fine, just told me what I said above.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Laptop USB PCMCIA Card for Me
6th Dec-2005

Need some information on your PC – Download the FREE Home Edition of [EVEREST] and follow these instructions –

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – from these – will be able to answer USB Issues & give suggestions – [Use the HTML Quick Reports]

Report-1: [Rickie-CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Rickie -CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: [Rickie -Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Rickie -Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[ Rickie -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Rickie -Devices-1] & attach to Post

Use the Attachment Feature of Posting – These Reports are HUGE if using Text – They will be [Truncated] & will be hard to browse thru – ATTACH the reports per instructions – on return Post – Use the HTML QUICK REPORT – As this will be a smaller Attachment –

Usually USB Drivers are contained in your [OS] = Operating System / or Service Pack -

I am not familiar with Windows ME – But after you Post back Reports – I will have an ME Tech – look at your USB Issues – from an Operating Systems Viewpoint –

The item to learn from this – Verify [Hardware & Operating System Compatibility] & Obtain some MFG Traceability – [Before Purchase] – It just makes the [Information Process] easier –

There should be some info on Card – Post all Letters & Numbers – and any ICONS – Symbols – Markings
Take a photo & attach Thumbprint Photo if you can -

Where are you located – 16 Hr Time difference – [Just curious] – so I can give you better Web page links -
Jack123

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I'm located in Victoria, Australia...:tazz:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Files