Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does AdawareSE detect all?

• Please log in to reply

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hello there ppl,

Whilst browsing thru GTG I came across Spy Sweeper and The Cleaner. I decided to give them a try. Spy Sweeper came up with 1 item of spy/adware and 2 traces yet I had just ran Adaware and that had come up with nothing. Why do you think this could be??

The item in quarantine is ShopAtHomeSelect.
The two traces are (file)C\documentsandsetting\jim\localsettingstemp\bundle
and (file) C:\temp\sahagent.exe <-----I found this in temp (SAHAGENT)

(Can't actually remember going anywhere that I could have got this. Would I have got this from downloading something or just going on a website?? ;) Eeeeeeh!! haven't a clue have I?? :thumbsup:

Thanks (a very :tazz:) Lindy x

I've got rid of them but wondered how I got them in the first place.

sorry for being a pain in the behind :cheers:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

May be bundled with Grokster, IMesh, Favoriteman and from www.shopathomeselect.com

I found this little bit of info on how you may have gotten it, but it's definitely not the only way. You definitely need more than just AdAware, every anti malware program is different. Some catch stuff others don't and vice versa, but none catch all. Remember that NONE. I use AdAware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, Etrust Antivirus, and Etrust firewall (zone alarm with a different skin). The Cleaner detects and removes trojans, and adaware/spybot don't. Some Antivirus programs detect trojans, but not as many as the cleaner (that I know of). All you can do is check for updates for your software daily, and do daily scans (i scan multiple times per day, i'm kind of paranoid). Also once you know you are clean then go to "Control Panel", "System", and click the "system restore" tab. Check the box next to "Turn off system restore" and click "apply". When the hourglass disappears then uncheck the box and click apply. This clears all the restore points you have and by turning it back on it creates just one new one. Do this daily, (again i do this multiple times per day, especially if i'm going to install something new or do anything out of the ordinary) that way if you do catch something, you can always restore back to an hour or 2 ago (if you do this daily multiple times), but worst case scenario you can restore to yesterday, or the day before and you'll be clean. Of course this is the easy way or maybe the "lazy" way, and what's the fun in that?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Jonny, :help:

I'm paranoid too, especially when my B/F goes online to download stuff.
Methinx that's where that SAHagent came from (downloading a file off LimeWire).

You know The Sweeper (not personally I mean :help: ) I went from my desktop to my B/F's desktop and the alarm went off cos things had changed I said ignore the alarm quit the noise and accept the changes. The reason It probably went off is cos I needed codecs to play a movie. I got DiVX 5.2 (this gave me the picture) so I tried AVIcodec to see if it would give me sound.....it didn't :help:. So like I said I went onto my B/F's desktop (I had the sound turned up loud to see If I could hear the movie and when the alarm went off :mad: :no: :beer: :woot: ) The thing is maybe I shouldn't have accepted the changes.
I've scanned my comp with spybot, CWS, spyware blaster, adaware, The Sweeper and The Cleaner and it hasn't found anything. Now we're talking paranoid. I went into my computer and right clicked on C drive and the following came up:- Open - Browse with AVIcodec - Explore - Search. Browse with AVIcode didn't used to be there and search result for AvIvcodec come up with nothing in my computer. (So why's it there? I don't wannit, how can I make it go away??? :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks, Lindy x ;)

P.S. When you talk about system restore will that mean if I do this now I will lose DiVX codec 5.2????? :tazz:

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hey Jonny,

My last post. Have you any idea about the Browse with Avicodec thing.

Sorry to bother you :thumbsup: but I didn't put it there :tazz: and I got rid of Avicodecs cos they didin't work.

I'm scared incase I have something bad.;)

Thanks, Lindy x

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Looks like avicodecs is a tool to "identify" what codecs you need and have. Read here:

http://www.afterdawn...rs/avicodec.cfm

I'm scared incase I have something bad.

Don't forget about making a restore point daily then if you catch something bad you can just restore to an earlier point without losing much or any data at all :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks jonny,

I know what the Aviciodec thing is now,

When you right-click a folder, you may see some context-menu entries, out of which some may be invalid or unwanted. Say, when you remove a software, the corresponding entries are not removed. Though third-party registry cleaners might help, it's easier to remove them manually.

I did have Avicodec but then it didn't do what I wanted it for so I got rid of it.

Thanks again Jonny,

Lindy x

Attached Thumbnails

• A_Polar_Bear.jpg