Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 cronology cancelled

• Please log in to reply

walky

walky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello ! Every morning on my company pc (running XP) I find the cronology completely cancelled.
I don't know if it's a bad setting or an intentional user action, as it's not possible to password protect the system (company's statement).
Any suggestion will be appreciated

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Welcome to G2G walky. Do you mean the history? Lets check what the setting for it is.

From Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS >INTERNET OPTIONS
In the thrid section of the window that comes up, what is the "Days to keep pages in History" set to?

-Ryan

walky

walky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Ryan, yes it's the history, days to keep is (as usual) set to 20

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Hmmm...
Who has access to this computer during the night? It would seem that they might be cleaning out the history.
Also, what kind of a company do you work for. Depending on the line of work, you may ask that they revisit this no password policy of theirs.

-Ryan

walky

walky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Imho I suspect some strange hack, as all people here around "should" have no special reason to surf in the off hours on my pc instead of on their.
I agree with you about policies, but there are no ears for this suggestion.
Just to raise some protest, I'll set a password this evening, but tomorrow I will be asked to restore no password protection. Tomorrow we will see.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On corporate and government systems the histories are sometimes erased by the anti spyware system in operation, any maintenance may also have done it, i would check with your IT services or network administrator.

walky

walky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is a small company (<20 pc), and we have not a real IT responsible! I am in charge for pc and intranet maintenance, that's why I am asking around for help. Other pc's have not such problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Imho I suspect some strange hack, as all people here around "should" have no special reason to surf in the off hours on my pc instead of on their.

if you think there's no reason for someone to use your machine instead of theirs...you've got another thing coming....it's alot easier for them to not worry about surfing for p0rn on your machine instead of theirs (which is one of the few reasons to empty an IE history in a corporate setting)...

if the password doesn't fly....we can disable changing the history settings...and disable deleting the history for a day or so...that way you can see the kinds of reasons for someone to use your machine instead of these....i personally think that this is an office mate not wanting to get caught doing something he knows he shouldn't be doing

walky

walky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

if the password doesn't fly....we can disable changing the history settings...and disable deleting the history for a day or so...

This intrigue me: how can I do it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all of the machines are running xp pro right?

walky

walky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The most are XP, other are 2000 server, some w9x even exist .
Your suggestion to disable history settings lead me to group policy settings (mmc->gpedit, etc.): now the ie general panel is not accessible... No low-level user should be able to clean the history.
Therefore this evening the machine will be left with no password and history settings/clening disabled.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i was gonna suggest disabling the "change history settings" but..dropping the generals tab will do it as well...(though...in theory...they could delete the history through the history window)

edit: p.s. good job of staying a few steps ahead!

Edited by dsenette, 06 December 2005 - 09:20 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, almost all computer problems can be traced back to the person behind the keyboard.

Passwords are always a good idea for any system, especially on XP you should at least have a password protected administrator account for XP if you are responisible for computer maintenance, it actually opens up vulnerailities to not have a password.

And passwords open up the possibilty of accountability you cant have people accessing anything they want from their work-place these days, it can cause problems for the computers by people downloading and accessing things they shouldnt and it can cause legal problems, you dont want to come into work one day and find the authorities have taken all your computers.

walky

walky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
After few days with clear history function disabled: all links are present.
I'll report this fact and all comments from this forum to the boss.
Thanks to everybody.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good job cyber sleuth!