Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Somebody read my files; can I find out which ones?

• Please log in to reply

exebbeche

exebbeche

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I think –well, I am sure, actually– somebody at my workplace has been reading my documents, snooping into my files, etc. Now, I would like to know how that person or persons did it, but more importantly, which files they read. Is that possible? Is there any procedure I should follow to determine that, any software I could download? My attitude and strategy from now on will change according to that.

I have a Dell with a Windows 2000 OS, and though I am the administrator of that computer and several other people are only Power Users, I know they read my files. There’s no network.

This is a very important issue for me: I would appreciate any answer.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
put all your sensative files in a specific folder, now right click that folder and do properties now go to the security tab. and make sure that you are the only person with permissions to the folder and make sure you have full control. if you want to be extra carefull make sure that you deny all permissions to all other users (do not do this by using the everyone group...as y ou are part of the everyone group)..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also...as i would assume your account is password protected...i would change your password and log out when you step away from the machine