Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Options

• Please log in to reply

Drea82

Drea82

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:)
I wasn't sure if I should post here or in malware problems, so I'm starting here.
I have scanned with S&D and ad-aware and also trend micro. Here's my problem:
I was at school last night and my non-computer savvy mom went to a website and clicked on one of those fake pop-ups that says "you're computer may be infected. Click here to scan" She clicked. Ugh.
I came home, saw our desktop icon had changed to a blue backround with a box in the middle that says "Spyware infection" and then says some things about "Windows has been infected with spyware, it is discouraged to continue use of computer until downloading a spyware removal program".
I scanned my computer with various products, removing what they all found. The desktop wallpaper stayed the same.
I found the wallpaper in my WINDOWS folder and deleted it. The desktop backround finally was gone. However...
When I right click on my desktop and clicked properties, then click the desktop tab, it shows all the things you can do (switch the wallpaper, etc) but it won't let you actually click any of it to change. In other words, the buttons are not highlighted and unable to be clicked.
I've never seen this before, do you have any idea what may be the problem? And even more, how to fix it? It's annoying more than anything, but if it's a deeper problem, I'd like to know.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :tazz:

Drea

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.