Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware problems

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

I have just built a new system and everything is great, but the one thing that isn't so great, well first of all, when I first install windows xp pro it wouldn't boot came up with disk configeration problem, reinstalled file system and windows and then it worked but now the thing is, is whenever windows boots up the keyboard stops working I mean the num lock light is still on but the keyboard crashs? what should I do? Oh and another thing this is the first system which I have built with an SATA harddrive and in windows it comes up as a removable device, why dose it do that, should it do that?

Oh and I don't know if anything is broken becuase my case didn't come with a BIOS speaker :)

Thanks a million to people that can help :tazz:

Advertisements

RootExposure

RootExposure

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
What type of BIOS do you have?

As far as the speaker, alot of motherboards have small speakers already on them, even if your's does not the BIOS speaker wouldn't provide you much help in this situation. If I'm not mistaken you said your computer was booting all the way into Windows, so the only thing you would here from the speaker would be the one beep when the POSTing was complete. The problem also doesn't really sound hardware related.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Hardware Problem Keyboard Crashes
7th Dec-2005

What Type of Keyboard PC Connection Port – [PS2] or [USB]
What Type of Mouse PC Connection Port – [PS2] or [USB]

If using USB Connection Port – Verify BIOS SETTING – [Integrated Peripherals] :
1- USB Controller is [Enabled]
2- USB Legacy Keyboard Support is [Enabled]
3- USB Legacy Mouse Support is [Enabled] – (If it is USB) – Otherwise [Disabled]

For Sound Check BIOS SETTING – Integrated Peripherals] :
1- Onboard AC97 Audio Controller is set to [AUTO] or [Enabled]

Try Starting Windows in [Safe Mode] – See if Keyboard works – when Windows Loads/Installs –
Then use [Device Manager] – To Install the Proper Keyboard Driver –

Jack123