Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton vs AVG

• Please log in to reply

angelblade27

angelblade27

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
what are the advangates and disadvanteges between these. wouldn't notron's internet secutriy be good to block spam and attacks?

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
i like Norton Internet Security its done me well but i would say Zonealarm Beats it with Firewall and Norton is good for antivirus i think

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Norton slows down your computer alot while AVG is for free and you can ge updates for free

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Norton cant detect anything other than the biggest nastiest viruses any little ones or ones that hide well its absolutley useless, it only appears to work well because it is so utterly poor.

AVG is good but its a little tacky looking and the scanner could be faster for me, i prefer Avast it has all the features of the paid for AVs looks better and actually has some features that you have to pay extra for in Norton and the other paid for AVs. Best thins Avast is free and its on access protection is top notch and keeps the nasties off of your system well.

The best AV on the market is NOD32 its like 25 quid for your years subscription but it offers you the best features and most importantly best protection of any Anti virus. Its #1.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yeah totally agree with Scot. NOD32's the best it doesn't slow down your computer at all like Norton does and NOD32 doesn't tolerate any existence of unclean stuff on your computer.

I was using Norton Antivirus 2005 Professional earlier this year and was shocked to be told later that it didn't detect or report anything on a keylogger that was planted into my work computer.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
lol norton isnt slowing my System Down its still going fast as it should be i have Norton Personal firewall 2004 aswell ... Probably norton slows your systems down because you have sluggish systems BUT it doesnt Slow mine down...!!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
How do you know take it off and put on avast, you should notice a difference, either that or you have some kind of magical PC because all the rest of the PCs in the world are adversely affected by the hoggish nature of Norton. You also have to factor on the whole thing about it having a poor scanner and its inability to remove many viruses, even the simple ones.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
is there a way where i can sneak 2 Antiviruses onto my pc ?

Ryan.

Ryan.

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I wouldn't suggest it you should really only stay with one.... Just becuase it is free does not mean it does not work. I would suggest trying avast and see how well it works....ps zonelabs rocks!!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah two antiviruses work against each other, the fact that you have norton is a pain, it doesnt like being installed it can be as stubborn as a good bit of malware at times. Its because it thinks its smarter than you are.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
How large is NOD32's virus database?

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts

How large is NOD32's virus database?

its second only to that of Kaspersky labs in my personal observations. Kaspersky's scanner is MARKEDLY slower though, which is the tradeoff for being slightly more comprehensive. I personally use NOD32 and I have no cause for complaint. Its heuristics are also second to none

pcguyusa

pcguyusa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I used to like Norton. However, over the last few years, it's really slowed down the systems I work on and its expensive. It can be a tough to get rid of when things go bad. I like AVG and reccommend it to everyone. I have the commercial version loaded at several customers sites and the Admin utility in great for managing several computers to force them to update and scan. I will try Avast and see if I like it.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

its second only to that of Kaspersky labs in my personal observations. Kaspersky's scanner is MARKEDLY slower though, which is the tradeoff for being slightly more comprehensive. I personally use NOD32 and I have no cause for complaint. Its heuristics are also second to none

Cool. I have Kaspersky and I love it, except for when it slows my computer down. It is over protective, so I just disable it when I'm doing something like backing up my HD. I will have to check out NOD32's trial version. I may start recommending that to my friends instead of Kaspersky. But as for me, I'll stick with Kaspersky. I can just disable it when it is being over-protective. :tazz: