Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System shuts off

• Please log in to reply

Mark_Russell

Mark_Russell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I'm running some programs (no particular one) the computer just shuts off -- goes to immediate black screen. I can reboot (but it takes a long tiome to boot, 11 - 15 minutes - always) and it does not seem to have a problem until next time. The only time it is consistent is when I have tried to repair the Operating system with the CD. Then the computer ALWAYS shuts off after I select "R" for restore.

Edited by Mark_Russell, 06 December 2005 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Also click + next to computer then sensor, give it a bit and it will show you the temps, if you minimize it may show them in the taskbar

Graphics drivers and temperatures are two possible reasons a PC would shut down

Mark_Russell

Mark_Russell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Lavalys only offers a Corporate edition and a Ultimate edition at this time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Better grab this quick then

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Use download latest version link on right

OBrother

OBrother

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'd like to hop on this topic, if I may. The issue sounds very similar to my own. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, which I've owned for a couple years. It frequently shuts off when I'm in the middle of something that apparently takes a lot of energy--running a whole-system virus scan, shredding a bunch of documents with Spybot, for example. The fan runs quite loud for a few minutes or longer, then the computer shuts off.

Is this related to the temperature, as suggested above? And if so, how would I fix it?

I've downloaded the Everest home edition, and run it--but now what do I do with the information generated?

Thanks for your help!