Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modoem issue

• Please log in to reply

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i just installed a modem pci card in my computer to try to get a modem going to my 2nd computer. so i installed the card in my computer and started to run a phone line to my room until i got the idea that i could just move my dsl upstairs cause i already have a phone line coming in there and it would make a faster connection... unfourtuanlty that didnt work so i went bak to the orignial idea but unfourtuantly everytime i tried to dial the connection it said the line waz busy even tho i unplugged all the phone lines from unimportant things such as the dsl and all, could this be related to the phone jack... any suggestions?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm not sure about using a modem with DSL, but I suspect that's your problem. I suppose a call to your DSL provider would answer for certain.

Since you already have DSL why don't you just network your computers so that they can share the DSL connection. 802.11b routerc can be purchased now for about $20, and a PCI or USB access point should set you back about another $20. Or, you could run CAT5 cable between the rooms, but that's not usually very practical.

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
naw i would have done that anyway but i guess i just wanted to c if i could get a phone connection to the computer, but thanks for the advice, i also read one of your other topics about connecting the computer to the tv and im gonna try that, but wont that distroy the picture?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Tv's don't near the resolution of a computer monitor, so it doesn't work very well for reading text. Most people do it for gaming.