Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh install of 98-

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to do a fresh install and am getting this error at the format.

A:\d:\win98\format c:
invalid drive

I did an installation last night and everything went smoothly, but I did need to change the drive on that machine. I tried changing this one to A:\f:\win98\format c: and A:\e:\win98\format c: but to no avail.

Can you give me some suggestions? At what point should I insert my boot disk? Now I am confusing myself!

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, can you just type format c: and press enter

When the drive is clear, press enter for volume, press ctrl + alt + del to reboot, keep tapping delete key to enter set up, set it to boot from CD ROM, press F10 to save and exit, type Y to confirm, load the 98 CD in the drive, press enter and then press load from CD

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks, installation appears to be going fine now.