Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Major problems uninstalling NT and installing XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

everyjules

everyjules

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey...I am currently running NT and just got XP.When I tried to install Xp it said this,"Setup cannot upgrade your current installation to Window XP.Your current installation of Windows is not a supported upgrade path." So ok, I was told to uninstall NT and when I tried, I can't find it no where in my system.It is not in the add/remove programs or hardware. And I have no idea what to do now.I want rid of NT cuz it is basically crap.I can't use my printer or digital camera or scaner or anything cuz it is impossible to find a driver for NT. Can ANYONE help me out here and tell me how to upgrade or uninstall.Thanks in advance...Julie

Edited by everyjules, 06 December 2005 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just boot using the XP cd and follow the prompts from there.. You should get an option to remove all partitions and then partition and setup XP..

Make sure you backup everything you deem important first (Docs, pics, etc!!) !!

Murray

everyjules

everyjules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
as soon as I put the Xp disk in,it tells me the same thing everytime..."setup cannot upgrade your current installation....." Then the only option it gives is to close it.So what do I need to do? And thanks for the welcome...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can't do it through Windows.. You need to shutdown the computer, put the XP cd into the cd-rom drive

Boot to BIOS and make the cd-rom the first boot device.. Press F10 to save the change to BIOS and reboot..

You aren't doing that are you!!

Murray

everyjules

everyjules

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK,can you explain to me in a little more detail just exactly what that means please?...I am not as computer literate as you are and don't know what "boot to Bios" is and how to make the cd-rom the first boot device.Thanks again for your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. with luck, the system may already be set to boot to the cd-rom first..

Put your XP cd into the cd-rom drive.. Close any window that may start afterwards..

Now, shutdown and reboot your system..

If your cd-rom is the first boot device, you should get a message on your screen that says something like "press any key to boot from cd"..

BTW, the above instructions will only work with an original XP cd.. a copied or burned version has a totally different setup procedure!!

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Closed: See This Thread

Murray