Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vmm32.vdx problem too

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

Installation was going fine until system restarted. Should have gone to clock set up screen, instead I got the same error as Dan-Phoenix got, "Windows Protection Error" C:\windows\system\Vmm32.vdx: Missing/unable to load. When I restarted, windows said that installation wasn't complete and to start in safe mode. When safe mode opened the it told me that windows can't install devices while in safe mode. That's when I looked here for help. I attempted to use the "Resolution" as suggested in Dan's post, but when I got down step #7, I came up with an error. I'm confused with step#1. Could you please break it down?

#1 Insert and restart to command. How do I do this correctly? Insert 98 disk and hit what key to bring me to the command prompt? Once I am at the command prompt when do I choose start with CD Support? Am I missing a step here?

Thanks so much,

Lori

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Lori,

Win98 installations sometimes fail. This is known to happen on many machines. But... I'm going to advise you to completely reformat/re-partition your drive and re-install Win98 rather than attempt to fix the present intstallation.

The reason is that if some other unknown problem also happened during this "troublesome" install, it may show up later and then you'll end up with an unstable machine constantly trying to fix it. Better to bite the bullet now than deal with a bad install later.

Before installing, clean the Win98 CD well, then go at it again. It's really the best thing to do at this early stage! :tazz:

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi Again,

I did try to reformat and reinstall earlier today, using the directions given in another post. I am confused when instructions say to insert the start up disk and reboot. I then start off my process with the invalid error message telling me to hit any key. Bad beginnings that just seem to get worse. I did reformate/re-partition and made it a step further, then got the same error. I tried using the Gateway recovery disk and at some point the installation continued, but then I got numerous missing file errors. I hit "skip file"" about 30 times and system seemed to be up. I figured there would be problems based on all these missing files.

Should I try reformating again or does it sound like a waste of time? Why are these files missing in the first place? Shouldn't they be on the Win98 CD? This formating doesn't seem like fun anymore. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I did happen to read your other posts earlier and gathered that this must be your first installation. What wasn't clear is if the Win98 disk you have is an OEM disk (from Gateway) or is it a true Win98 disk from Microsoft? This is quite important because the installation may be a little different. I only realized this now as you mentioned Gateway in this post... which I must assume means you have a Gateway computer.

However, I'm still a bit confused because you mentioned that the installation went smoothly in this THREAD

And then, you seemed to be having a little trouble HERE

The installation of Win98 is not difficult, but can be very frustrating for new people trying to learn about computers. Even following the install procedure linked on this site can be confusing. In fact, some of the instructions in my opinion are not correct/clear. Gee, I hope I don't get in trouble for that one!!!

In any case, I know you're a bit frustrated, but I also know we can help you. So.... You need to answer the first question in my long boring post... Is the disk you have a Gateway disk, or is it a true Win98 disk from Microsoft?

Uhhh... I actually am going to get some sleep right now, but I'll be back! I really dislike un-smiley faces!!

Edited by makai, 07 December 2005 - 08:34 PM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi There :tazz:

Actually, I did my first installation Monday night on a Dell that had been hit by spyware. I followed the tutorial and had no problem. I was pretty excited and decided to try to fix the Gateway yesterday. It was moving along at the time. I posted too soon, 10 minutes later I got that error that you see below.

I agree, some of the instuctions are confusing. I had a hard time trying to repartition and when I was at the format screen I got an error. I went in circles, before putting one of the disks in. That's when it said that the drive needed to be formated. Needless to say, I was excited when the clock screen came up today. However, upon the next restart I got the same message again. I tried putting different disks in and at one point the installation continued. Then I started to get all the missing file errors.

Regarding the disks, they are on my desk at work, along with the sad computer. I will check them out and let you know what I have.

Thanks so much!! :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok!

BTW... Is this a work computer? Did you disconnect all the peripheral equipment (printer, scanner, modem, etc) attached to it first? It would be best to do this so Win98 can be installed smoothly without having to detect any outside devices.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

Regarding the disks, one is a Microsoft Win98SE, the other one I refered to is a Gateway System Restoration disc. After popping them in and out I have forgotton just what the Restoration does.

This computer is used by my SIL at work. She spends a small amount time using Word and a large amount of time surfing the web. Her files are saved on my hard drive. We plan to pick up a new one at some point but I would like to see if I can get this one operable. We would like to give it to someone who would use it for Word also.

I also have the Microsoft Office 97, old, I know, but should be ok, along with the printer disk. Regarding the printer, I may have forgotton to unplug it :tazz:

Can you really help? I will be here for the rest of the day and will return on Monday.

Thanks,

Edited by sheal, 08 December 2005 - 11:19 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The Gateway Restoration disk should boot and restore the OS as it was installed by Gateway. You would need to change your bios to boot from the CDROM. It would also be a good idea to read the Gateway documentation as it surely would tell you how to run the restoration.

The Win98 Se disk should also work fine. If it is a bootable disk, (some are, some are not) then again you would need to change the bios to boot from the CDROM... then all you have to do is follow the prompts. If the Win98 disk is not bootable, then the procedure is to boot from a Win98 flopply like you tried before.

What you cannot do is try to swap between the Gateway and Win98 disk while under the same installation. The paths for the installation cab files are not the same and is possibly why you got so many missing files errors... at least I'm sorta assuming you swapped between discs at some time during your install when you were having troubles.

Can you really help? I will be here for the rest of the day and will return on Monday

Yes, I believe I can help you. However, it will take some time. As long as you're patient and not in a rush, I'll do whatever it takes.

You need to answer a few questions so we can have a base line...

Where are you in the install?
Is the Hard drive partitioned/formatted the way you want it to be?
Do you need help with partitioning/formatting?
If the drive is already formatted, are you ready to commence the install?

I have written a short summary (attached/password protected) on how to install Win98. It's basically the same as the posted link in this forum, except for a few changes. Note that this is off the top of my head so hopefully it's not too confusing. If you follow along with it during the install, and run into any problems, just PM me, or post back to this thread. Please read over the summary and see if it makes sense to you. Note also, that I have not included any screen shots, so if you run into a screen that you're confused about, just visit the Win98 install linked in this forum to find notes on the particular screen. Also, Please do not repost the summary as it is not tested and I don't want others to get confused by it if it doesn't even work for you. I've PM'd the password to you. Thanks.

One more thing... please take the time to disconnect every piece of peripheral hardware connected to the Gateway computer before attempting the install.

[attachment=5138:attachment]

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi Again,

Your instructions look familiar, probably because I have read so many instructions in so many posts. What does confuse me are the options at the end. At what point do I choose them? Option #3 says to use it during the fdisk procedures?

Anyway, I am starting now. I checked the bios and confirmed that it is floppy 1st, CD 2nd, hard drive 3rd and Network 4th. Hit F10 to save and exit. Here is my first issue:

When computer restarts I get the "Invalid System Disk, replace the disk and press any key" error. What am I doing wrong? :tazz: I am under the impression the machine is supposed to reboot and go to the options screen.

Please advise.

I

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

If I pop the floppy out and F8 I can choose #5 command prompt. Can I do this and should I pop the floppy back in before hitting the enter button?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Your instructions look familiar, probably because I have read so many instructions in so many posts. What does confuse me are the options at the end. At what point do I choose them? Option #3 says to use it during the fdisk procedures?

The options are seen in the first screen you see "after" the computer boots from the Win98 floppy disk.

The explanation of the options at the end of the document are just for information purposes. The explanation is there just so you can understand when to use which option. For instance, if you're running through the fdisk procedures, you don't really need to load the CD-ROM drivers because this takes time and slows down the boot up process while you're waiting to get to the A: prompt. So... You would choose option 3 anytime you are using fdisk, partitioning, and formatting... just to speed booting up.

After you're done with all your fdisk procedures, you would need to use option 2, because you will then need the CD-ROM drivers loaded during boot up so that the CD-ROM can read the Win98 CD for installation.

So... the only difference between option 2 and 3 is that in option 2, the CD-ROM drivers will be loaded during boot up.

An "invalid system disk" means that the disk being used for boot up does not contain the required system files.

Your computer is set up to boot from...
1) the floppy drive
2) the CD-ROM
3) the Hard Drive
4) Network

If your boot up floppy does not contain the correct system files required for boot, the computer will then follow the boot order and look to the CD-ROM drive for the system files. If none are found on the CD-ROM, then the computer will then look on the Hard Drive... then on the Network. If no VALID system files can be found, the computer will spit out the... "Invalid System Disk" error.

Are you sure the Win98 floppy you have is good??? You may need to download and make another copy. Go HERE , choose Windows 98 SE OEM , and choose a mirror to download a fresh copy. Remember, the mirrors are simply other locations where you can download the same file. You may want to use a new floppy to create the new bootup disk.

By the way, the bootdisk download is an application to create the files required for the floppy. You must put a new floppy into the floppy drive then launch the application. The application will then put the system files onto the floppy. The bootdisk downloaded application is NOT the required Win98 system files. I know some people who have tried to boot their computer using the downloaded bootdisk application, so I just wanted to make sure you understood this.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Ok, that is probably why I am having the problem. That is exactly what I did, fortunately, while rummaging around in my computer box I found a start up disk I created a few months ago. I just started the partition and it tells me that the partition already exists. Did I just miss a step or is this ok?

Regarding the error I made in downloading the mirror. Was I supposed to download to the desktop of the computer. What would the next step have been?

Thanks for explaining this to me. I learn something new everyday!

Edited by sheal, 08 December 2005 - 03:19 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Ok, that is probably why I am having the problem. That is exactly what I did

What does this mean? What did you do???

I just started the partition and it tells me that the partition already exists

I don't understand your terminology. Do you mean you were able to start with the floppy you found, and you are in the fdisk window? What do you mean by you just "started the partition"?

Regarding the error I made in downloading the mirror. Was I supposed to download to the desktop of the computer. What would the next step have been?

Are you asking me what you should have done with the bootdisk application you downloaded?

Thanks for explaining this to me. I learn something new everyday!

No problem, by the time we're all done, you're going to look back and realize there's nothing to it! :tazz:

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I went to the website and only downloaded the application to my floppy. I misunderstood, I thought I was downloading the actual files the system needed.

I used the disk I found and was able to get to the "Create Dos Partition" Hit 1-Enter, Brings me to "Create Dos Partition" Hit 1 again. That is when it says the "Primary Partition Already Exists". OK to move on?

Yes, I was asking what I should have done while I was at that bootdisk website. What should I have done with the application? Downloaded it to my desktop? This is for future reference.

Thanks,

Lori

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, understood! :tazz:

Yes, if the partition is already present, then you can ESC out of fdisk and restart your computer.

The next step would be to format the disk. Just follow the instructions for formatting.

Yes, I was asking what I should have done while I was at that bootdisk website. What should I have done with the application? Downloaded it to my desktop? This is for future reference.

For future reference... the bootdisk application should be downloaded to the desktop of a computer. Then, just insert a floppy into the floppy drive, then double-click on the downloaded application. The app will launch and all you have to do is follow the instructions. In the end what you will end up is a valid Win98 boot disk. Label it as so and keep it for whenever you need it.

Edited by makai, 08 December 2005 - 04:03 PM.