Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vmm32.vdx problem too

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Regarding that application: why would you need it? Don't all the systems have the option to create a startup disk already? :tazz:

Lori

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Regarding that application: why would you need it? Don't all the systems have the option to create a startup disk already?

Yes, but if you hadn't found the start up disk you happen to find, and your CD is not bootable, what would you do then? :tazz:

Of course there are other ways of getting a start up disk, like having a friend make one off his machine... but places like bootdisk.com offer a service that is readily available, quickly accessible, and very helpful. :)

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
True, but by the time I realized my mistake it was too late, right? Or could I have installed the application before I started the process?

OK, I just typed in D: which brought me to the D prompt. However, when I type in Setup it says "Bad Command" Could my CD be a different drive letter, like F? Or, based on the tutorial should it be D:\Win98\Setup?

Forgot to mention that just before the A prompt appeared the system said "The tools were successfully loaded to drive D. How can that be?

Edited by sheal, 08 December 2005 - 04:51 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you restarted the computer, did you select option 2, which loads the CD drivers? If not, just restart the computer and make sure to select option 2.

You will see the CD drivers being loaded and at the end, you will see which drive letter windows has assigned to the CD drive. It should be D:, but it could be something else also.

The D: you are seeing right now is the drive letter that windows has issigned to the ram drive. This is a psuedo/temporary drive that windows creates so it has something to load all the system files into.

Just try restarting, select option 2, and pay attention to the drive letter windows assigns to the CDROM. Whatever that drive letter is, change the directory to it, and type Setup.

Edited by makai, 08 December 2005 - 05:00 PM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
OK, where was I supposed to see the drive? I did see the line "Ram Virtual disk D" then everything was gone!

Tried entering "setup" again, no luck.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you select option 2, you will see windows start to load, just before it stops at the A:, you will see the drive letter listed that windows has assigned the CDROM. IF you are at the A:, just look up a little and you should see some text.

Setup will not run in the directory of the ram disk. You are trying to do something that cannot be done.

The Setup application is on the CDROM. You must change to the directory of the CDROM so Setup can run off of it.

Edited by makai, 08 December 2005 - 05:12 PM.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
This sounds like trouble!

I'm not seeing it, at the top of the screen I have that "Tools loaded to drive D" message. Did I do something wrong earlier? I have restarted and choose option 2 and saw the Disk size, Allocation size along with other info but no mention of drive. Can I try some letters?
Is this a bad sign? I think the computer hates me.

Should I consider using the Restoration CD? This cd claims that it will reinstall windows and all the device drivers along with some software.

I hate to waste your time with something that should be fairly simple.

Its getting late here and the kids are starving. I am going to leave this thing until Monday. Will you still be here?

Thanks,

Lori

Edited by sheal, 08 December 2005 - 05:45 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, lets slow down.

What could be happening is that the generic drivers on the start disk cannot identify your CDROM. I have never run into this with Win98, but it is possible. This is something that used to happen with Win95.

If the drivers were identifying your CDROM, then you should be able to see a text indication of what drive letter windows has assigned the CDROM. So... I'm going to guess this is what's happening.

Another possibility is that the floppy disk you're using just doesn't have the driver. Can you do me a favor and download/create a new floppy from the download link I gave you earlier.

If you don't want to attempt this, you can choose to use the Gateway recovery software and see how that goes.

I hate to waste your time with something that should be fairly simple.

If I considered any of this a waste of time, I wouldn't be a Trusted Tech on this forum! :tazz:

However, I will be going out for about an hour. I will check back on this thread when I return. Isn't this fun!! :)

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I have no problem trying to create a new startup disk but I'm confused. Doesn't the computer need windows installed in order to creat the startup disk? I no longer have a desktop to install it to, right?

Now, since that computer is out of commission, can I download the application to a floppy? What would I do then? Speaking of 95, it just dawned on me that this computer may have started life as a 95. Would that be the problem?

Actually, I like playing around with the machine. Everyone thinks I'm crazy. I would have stayed and played with it some more but the kids were threatening to call the authorities. :tazz:

Lori

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I have no problem trying to create a new startup disk but I'm confused. Doesn't the computer need windows installed in order to creat the startup disk? I no longer have a desktop to install it to, right?

Ha,Ha, very funny!!! :tazz:

Actually, the startup disk is NOT to be created on the computer you're trying to install Win98 on. That would be a technological wonder... since it's IMPOSSIBLE!!! LOL!!!

What you need to do is go to Bootdisk.com HERE and download the application to your desktop... the desktop of the computer you're typing on! :) I forgot to ask... does the computer you're typing on have a floppy drive? If not, do you have access to a computer that has access to the internet, and, has a floppy drive installed on it? If you do, download the application on that computer and create the floppy drive on that computer too!

Once you have downloaded the application from Bootdisk.com to the desktop, put a new/blank floppy disk into the floppy drive and double-click on the application... then follow the directions. The application will put all the neccessary system files onto the floppy... and hopefully, it will include drivers that will apply to the CDROM that's in the computer you're trying to fix.

Speaking of 95, it just dawned on me that this computer may have started life as a 95. Would that be the problem?

It shouldn't be a problem unless the CDROM is so old that the start disk doesn't have a driver for it.

I just thought of something. How long has this computer been out of commission? Do you know if the CDROM even WORKS?? Can you do me a favor the next time you power it up? I want you to watch the screen as its booting and see if the CDROM is being listed somewhere as the computer scrolls through the text. The CDROM should show up as a device... just like the Hard drive will, and normally, even the manufacture will be listed. We don't really care so much who makes the CDROM... as much as we care if it is even being detected by the bios. There is an easy way to find out by looking in the bios, but teaching you to navigate the bios may be more difficult right now. Easier if you just watch the screen. :woot:

Actually, I like playing around with the machine. Everyone thinks I'm crazy. I would have stayed and played with it some more but the kids were threatening to call the authorities.

Yes, trying to fix something broken is fun sometimes! It taxes your brain cells!

Anyways, I have a very early day tomorrow... must be at work at 12:00AM... yes, that's midnight! I'll be lucky to get about 4 hours of sleep! :) So, I will be leaving the forum for the night. Go ahead and try to see if you can create the floppy drive and I'll pick up later to see how you did. If you're successful, don't forget to label it Win98 Start disk.

Advertisements

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

I did create the 98 startup disk last night but a snowstorm prevented me from trying it out today. Apparently I lost my post last night so here is a recap. The computer was slow but workable until Tuesday when I started this new installation. Regarding the CDROM, I'm pretty certain that it is listed during the boot up. Plus when I was in the bios I thought I saw it listed (may have begun with an A). Or was I hallucinating?

Now, is this what I should do with this new startup disk? Switch the old floppy out, insert the new one and hit Cont, Alt & Delete to restart then try for option 2? That and hope for the best? :tazz:

Lori

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I did create the 98 startup disk last night but a snowstorm prevented me from trying it out today.

I'm glad you got the disk made. Snowstorm!!! Yikes!!!

Now, is this what I should do with this new startup disk? Switch the old floppy out, insert the new one and hit Cont, Alt & Delete to restart then try for option 2? That and hope for the best?

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do. I really hope the CDROM is recognized by both the bios and the start disk. If not, we're gonna be stuck unless you can get your hands on another CDROM.

I'll be here crossing my fingers!!!

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi There,

Well, let me start off by telling you that I just reformated again. Here is why:

If I choose option 2 with the new floppy in there is no mention of the drive.

If I choose option 1 with the new floppy in then I do see this "Drive E:=Driver MSCD001 unit 0".

I restarted and chose option 2 but when I try to change the drive to E I got "Invalid Drive Specification"

I tried picking option 1 and went through the setup process but I got the sam Vmm32.vdx error. :tazz:

I am back at the A prompt. Any idea on why it recognized the E but won't allow me to access it? What am I doing wrong?

Lori

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok...
You were able to run setup directly from the CDROM after you chose option 1???

Do this...
Go into bios again, change the boot up order to
1= CDROM
2= Hard drive
3= doesn't matter

Remove the floppy from the floppy drive and leave it out
Insert the Win98 CDROM into the CDROM Drive

Restart the machine.

Does the OS start installing? If it does, run through the installation again.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
No,

When I reboot it gives me the 2 options, hard drive or CD. It doesn't start the installation process.