Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

COMPUTER SLOW DOWN

• Please log in to reply

kimr

kimr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi and Help

My computer for about the last 3weeks has become very very very slow. The background will at times melt and restore itself. It has trouble doing everything!!! I have run virus scan after virus scan and can find nothing --mcafee--I have also run ad aware se. This has done nothing. My computer information is as follows microsoft wxp home edition version 2002 service pack 2 Hewlett pacard pavilion intel r celeron ® cpu 2.70 GHz 2.69 GHz 248 MB of ram. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! I also have DSL

Edited by kimr, 06 December 2005 - 05:23 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have onboard 8mb graphics

256mb Ram isn't much for XP

kimr

kimr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith

I am not sure. Where would I find that info

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home, from download latest version on right

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Run it, click + next to computer then summary

On the right, look at display / video adapter and also click + next to motherboard then memory to get the top 4 listed

kimr

kimr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok i did that now what

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry for the delay the forum is being difficult at the moment

From the display / video adapter you get the installed graphics component and from motherboard / memory you get how much memory you have

If you have integrated graphics below 64mb then you could consider increasing that

The likely total memory will be 256mb and you can increase this according to the limitations of the motherboard but you will easily be able to increase it to 512mb or 1 GB which would be better still

kimr

kimr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

thats ok I understand slow computers... I do have 64mb graphics .....but the physical memory was only 246mb How do i go about increasing this and will this solve my problem???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you go to crucial

http://www.crucial.com/

On the right, choose the motherboard manufacturer and then follow the steps and they will give you the options

Only get the same speed memory you already have because it will drag faster memory down to its speed