Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

won't boot to windows

• Please log in to reply

relmore

relmore

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
hi im trying to fix an ibm thinkpad running windows xp (sp 2 im guessing)
at boot up i repeatedly recieve the message that a hardware or software change may have caused this(unable to boot). none of the safemode boots work or the last known good configuration. it just starts itself over and over to the boot up options screen

the blue screen flashes for a second that says UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE and stop 0x000000ED and some other numbers in parenthesis. it flashes so quickly!! I read the pinned post. so this is a hardware failure issue? where do i reset the default for the ata cable detection? is it in the bios setup?

This is my younger brothers computer and he insists he hasnt installed anything new on it.

Edited by relmore, 06 December 2005 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi relmore!

Have you tried doing a REPAIR INSTALLATION of Windows XP? If you haven't, then I suggest you follow the guide from my signature on doing a Repair Installation of Windows XP.

Fenor

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
at first, it looks like we can't get our hands on an actual XP disk. xp was installed as part of the deal buying it and all i have is the product key codes sticker. I do have a friends xp professional disk. it did not find any existing windows versions. it now displays C:partition1 38147 mb (38146 free) and unpartitioned space 7mb. im thinking the system is botched. im reinstalling with friends xp disk and i have my xp prof code on the bottom.

Also, whats the best method for obtaining a hard copy of windows? i don't remember ever getting an actual disk with my computer either

Edited by relmore, 07 December 2005 - 12:58 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Depending on the model of Thinkpad, it may have a "hidden" recovery partition. In fact that 7MB partition may be it. The recovery partition is there to rescue the machine in case something messes up really bad. What it will do is recover the machine to a state like when it was first purchased. Including installing windows and all drivers. The bad part is that it will overwrite any user data and any user installed programs.

If there is data on the machine that your brother wants to keep, there is a way to get that off the machine before you run the recovery. It will take some time, but it can be done.

If he doesn't care, then you can use the recovery partition and have a "like new" machine!

If you need any help, PM me. It is not a difficult task to recover the machine.

BTW... What model Thinkpad is this.

Also, whats the best method for obtaining a hard copy of windows? i don't remember ever getting an actual disk with my computer either

Actually, Ibm doesn't normally supply an XP disc. They have instead a 5 CD recovery set, but again it is not supplied when you purchase the computer. Instead they install the hidden recovery partition. However, you can get the 5 CD set by calling IBM. I believe there was a class action against one of the major laptop manufactures about not supplying recovery cds and now all manufactures are supposed to give out the cds if the customer asks for it. I can't remember if IBM is involved in this, but give them a call. I got my discs by simply telling them my recovery partition didn't work, and I got the discs in 2 days.

Edited by makai, 07 December 2005 - 09:17 AM.

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
hi makai, its an R51. Heh yea I am just learning that the repair from cd is different for IBMs because they have the actual recovery image on the drive. unfortunately, I ran the format last night and mistakenely wiped the recovery partition when installing my friends version of XP- which i was told will probably not work with my code! so anyway the ibm guy i talked to was really nice and is sending me a recovery cd for 5 bucks and it wil hopefully have the microsoft office software on it as well.

Edited by relmore, 07 December 2005 - 05:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The R51 should be similar to my T41. Even if you formatted the drive, it's still possible that you didn't wipe the hidden partition. Did you try hitting the Access IBM key while booting up? If the hidden partition is still there, then it will launch the IBM recovery tools. I guess the IBM guy must have discussed this with you, right?

In any case, at least you'll get your hands on the cds! Unfortunately, you will not get MSOffice with it. All it will do is bring your machine back to how it left the factory when new. Still it'll be nice to start off fresh! :)

Also, here's a LINK to one of the premeire IBM forums, Thinkpad.com. Visit there if you have Thinkpad specific problems. They can be very helpful... if not fanatical at times about Thinkpads! :tazz:

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
yea he never directed me to go to the blue ibm key--I was instructed to hit the F11 key at boot-which listed 3 options-which he was familiar with. When i started to read him the options on the screen-- He interrupted and said if thats what I saw then I had erased the recovery partition. He also said that office should be on the disk i am recieving but if not he gave me a number to call. anyway I guess you will close this topic now so thanks for the info and forum link!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah... F11 does the same thing as Access IBM.

Good luck with getting Office... that would be awesome!!! :tazz: Hey, do me a favor, if you do get the CDs and it comes with Office...

PLEASE PM ME!!!!

Thanks!!!

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
no problem. will be 4-5 business days and ill know :tazz: