Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am new to video editing, have some questions

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ok, I am going to be converting and joining a lot of videos tonight. I've got all the guides I had ever wanted from Afterdawn.com but I am trying to figure out what I should convert too. Is anyone current on all of the new formats, and what is best? I have heard good things about rmvb, but I am not sure if I should use it. Could someone tell me the where I could find a chart with all the video formats and their quality/size ratio?

Advertisements

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh, I forgot to ask my other big question.

What do you guys suggest I use for joining together videos? I am going to need to do this for all sorts of formats.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am really sorry, I didn't see the video editing forum. I would move it if I could!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
As far as a chart listing all the formats, I've never seen one, but here Google might be your friend. As for the most popular formats, the old fashioned .mpg is still the most popular, next are the divx formats, after that .wmv, and probably the many .avi formats, then Quicktime and the Real formats.

I certainly don't know of any software that is good for joining/splitting all the different formats, and there is a lot of bad editing software out there, so be careful what you use. Good software is likely to cost good money, so you need to choose what formats you want to work with beforehand.

I like the divx formats because they offer good compression with good video quality and motion quality.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i've been looking on google with no luck so far, i have found a lot of bs though ! :tazz: i'll keep looking

have you ever heard of a format by the name of RAT? someone was telling me about this along with rmvb

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Maybe if you go to the Video Editing Forum maybe you will get more people posting than you have now

http://www.geekstogo...diting-f87.html