Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GeoVision GV-250 System

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi everyone, I'm running GeoVision GV-250 system on my computer. It's a camera survelliance program put on by one of my grumpy landlord's contacts (that's why I can't be bothered asking him about this question).

It's sensible to me that in the background the process "GV250.exe" is constantly running. But also I've noticed there're three other processes that go with it (as highlighted in yellow in attached image) - "BcastTcp.exe", "DMMailServer.exe", and "DmHealthSvr.exe". I might not be 100% correct but it seems to me that these processes are not necessary and I could terminate them anytime (though they do come back again automatically soon after).

Could anyone tell me whether they're necessary to be running all the time? If not, how can I get rid of them?

Also, I heard that the process "pctspk.exe" (highlighted in blue) is not important either. Is it correct? How do I get rid of it if it's true.

Cheers

[attachment=5115:attachment]

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You are allowing someone else to run surveillance software on your computer? And then allowing the computer to use your internet connection to file reports? I guess I am confused. If it is your computer, i.e. you have admin rights, you can remove this software easily. If it is not your computer, I'd be in violation of our TOS to discuss this.

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
since the software was installed by your landlord...we can't help you with this issue...if you own this computer..and the landlord installed the software without your concent...then you need to contact a lawyer and your landlord and take it from there....if this computer is owned by the landlord...you must contact your landlord....the processes that you are suggesting the termination of...are neccessary for the opperation of the software...and if terminated...the will just restart...so...like i said..if you don't want that software on your(or your landlord's) machine..then y ou must take it up with him/her

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Sorry to confuse you guys :tazz:| He did install the cameras and the application under my consent cos it monitors three areas including my outdoor (entrance) area. Nothing is under survelliance indoor.

He did put in an extra piece of harddrive though to store the ongoing video input. The computer is mine.

Guess the only answer I was after was - isn't the process GV250.exe enough on its own for this survelliance program? Why there's a "DMMailServer"? Sounds like it sends out stuff? I don't think my firewall captures any outgoing activity under the name though.

Thanx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
another staff member who is familiar with this software has said that the processes you listed in the first post...are neccessary for the program to run...and will just regenerate if you stop them

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
K thank you guys :tazz:

yourdomesticbliss

yourdomesticbliss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I realise this a rather old post , but as i too run this software i thought i could shed some light on the subject.

"BcastTcp.exe", is a tool used to monitor cameras remotely, It can be disabled from task manager after start up and wont regenerate

"DMMailServer.exe", is the software tool to send email notifications of camera activity, if you request such, and again it can be disabled through task manager without regenerating.

Both start up whether you use them or not unfortunately.