Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP - Get this message: explorer.exe unable to locate component this

• Please log in to reply

gegi

gegi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Help please. I keep getting this message: explorer.exe unable to locate component this application has failed to start because wininet.dll was not found.

Get to safe mode, but no start menu or anything that resembles my desktop. -- just blue screen. Tried cntl, alt, delete and get task manager but can't do anything coz I get the same above message but for taskmanager.

Can't run diagnostics. How to I get wininet.dll back to the correct folder -- I assume C:/windows/system32?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Read others similar but could fix it using those methods.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. I did a google search for "wininet.dll was not found" http://www.winguides...psed&sb=5&part=

gegi

gegi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks austin. but I can't even get into safe mode. All I get is the welcome and then blue screen. Or if I do get to safe mode, black screen with safe mode in each corner. Cntl, alt delete just gives me task manager but I can't do anything there. Any help is appreciated. Do you think i have to reinstall the whole windows xp? I hope not...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you have a windows install cd? You could try doing a repair. See the guide at the top of this forum at
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

gegi

gegi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Austin:

Thanks, problem resolved. I did a repair to XP as you suggested! Thanks and have a great holiday! :tazz: