Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! can't reboot

• Please log in to reply

aschmitt00

aschmitt00

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to re-intall windows xp on a formatted computer, and it gets as far as copying the files after formatting c:, then it says it needs to reboot to proceed, which it then does automatically. But after reboot, it just starts over again, asking if i wish to format, and then copying the files again.... just keeps looping... i tried restarting without the cd, but it doesn't even give me the option to go into bios, just prompts to insert the cd and press any key to continue....

is my computer for the electrorecycling? :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This happened to me on a athlon 2600 puter. What i ended up doing was to download the microsoft 6 disk boot floppy file and run it to make a set of boot floppys. Make sure you check the floppys as the first set i made had a bad #3 disk and stopped there. Ran them on the puter and it installed XP. You might be able to use a win 98 or ME boot floppy and get to the "A" prompt with cdrom support. Then type in the cdrom drive letter(usually E), colin, a space, then setup.exe to start the Win XP disk. The XP 6 disk set lets you boot from the newer dvd drives and has drivers for sata, etc.

SRX660

aschmitt00

aschmitt00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: thanks, i'll try that... now to find out if this floppy drive works...

aschmitt00

aschmitt00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: on the sixth disk i got a blue screen message :"If this is the first ime you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. "(I did, and tried again, same thing happened). "If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or removeany newly installed software. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select safemode.

Technical information :

***STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

can anyone help me? i'm a poor student, my computer is from tiny (who i heard have gone bankrupt) and i have nowhere else to turn....

Andrew

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the elder geek:

Stop 0x0000007F or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP - The Stop 0x7F message indicates that one of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode:

* A condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept (also known as a bound trap).
* Software problems.
* Hardware failures.

Possible Resolutions:

* Stop 0x7F messages are typically due to defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware. If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the system manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.
* Running the CPU beyond the rated specification, known as "overclocking," can cause Stop 0x7F or other error messages due to heat buildup. When diagnosing problems on overclocked systems, first restore all clock and bus speed settings to the manufacturer recommended values to determine if this resolves the issues.
* The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.
* Stop 0x7F messages can occur after installing incompatible applications, drivers, or system services. Contact the software manufacturer about possible Windows XP specific updates. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

SRX660