Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amd vs. Intel

• Please log in to reply

saffy

saffy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in your opinions on which chip do you prefer for heavy graphics. I'm planning to build a mean new system with an intel 3.8 ghz chip - what do you think?

Also, does anyone need Windows XP Pro - I'v got lots of it that I won't be using anytime soon - full version w/coa, brand new.

Your input would be really appreciated!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What kind of graphics do you mean, editing or as in heavy graphics from game playing. If you are using high end editing software the intel chip will give you better performace over the AMD slightly. The intel chips only really have a clear advantage when it comes to audio and video encoding you can usually shave off a few seconds with an intel chip.

toukon

toukon

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah it depends on what you're doing. I highly doubt that you'll notice any difference with running office apps or whatever. It also depends on what benchmark tests you're looking at. I recently read that some tests can show bias towards one chip.

do some research...anandtech or tomshardware...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lots of good tech sites, sometimes they come up some duff results though so its important to look at a few and gather the general trend.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I usually go with AMDs. THey last longer (for me) and are better for gaming. Remember they run better at lower frequencies than Intel. Also, AMD has handds down overwhelmingly destroyed Intel in Dual Core.