Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel shortcuts not opening properly

• Please log in to reply

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Excel 2002 and Windows XP Proffesional.

Just started happening. When I click on a shortcut, Excel comes up but the workbook does not pop up. That area remains black just like I closed out all worksheets but left Excel open. I can click "Open" and get the sheets back up that way but this becomes irksome and tedious to do.

Am I missing something? Any easy fixes?

Thanks all!!

Advertisements

jasonharrod

jasonharrod

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Shortcuts on the desktop right?

Probably what has happened is that your files have been moved from their original directory.

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Shortcuts on the desktop right?
Probably what has happened is that your files have been moved from their original directory.

That is not it because I can open them through Excel from the desktop without any issues. I do not get an error message either.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does this happen any time that you open an exell document from a shortcut? or only when you try to open additional ones (like..you alrady have one open..but y ou need to have another one open so you leave the first one up..and click on another)?

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

does this happen any time that you open an exell document from a shortcut? or only when you try to open additional ones (like..you alrady have one open..but y ou need to have another one open so you leave the first one up..and click on another)?

It happens anytime I click on any shortcut. If Excel is closed, and I click a shortcut, Excel opens but no spreadsheet comes up. Just a blank Excel. If Excel is open, and I click a shortcut, another Excel program opens and still no sheet comes up. Just the grey boxes.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what if you click the original file?

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Same thing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this may be a long shot...but..

open up my computer then click tools > folder options > file types >
find the .xls...and see what it says it opens with (it's probably gonona say exell...) change that to something like..note pad...then close out all of those screens...then go back in there and change it back to exell..

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Longshots are better than no shots at all. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take...

...that being said...no luck. XLS did read Excell. Changing it and changing it back did not work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...do you have your office disk?

if so go to add/remove programs in the control pannel and find microsoft office (if you installed excell by itself...find it and continue on with the next step) click on it and chose "change" it should bring up a windows saying something about configuring office...then you should get a window with 3 choices (uninstall, repair,...or something else) choose the repair option....it will probably ask you to put in y our office cd somewhere after you select the repair option

Advertisements

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I thought of that but alas.....no disk. Guess I am S.O.L.?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok..open up exell...and click on help...then detect and repair...that option shouldn't neccessarily ask for the cd

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I do not know if this is getting funny or frustrating...

I did the detect and repair option alredy. I even went and updated Windows and saw if there were any missing patches for Excell....nothing.

I think I have decided...this is definately not funny but really frustrating.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd say a little of both...but deffinitely more on the frustrating side...it's a funky situation....i've had something similar happen...but...it was because i already had one excell document open and i had a field selected for editing...which..in excell...means you can't open another document untill you unselect the open field.....

when you close excell...get into task manager...and open up the processes tab...see if the excell process is still running

dpcdomino

dpcdomino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It closes completely but here is a new odd twist. I clicked on the file on the desktop and hit "open with." Instead of clicking the program on the list, I went into the Program Folders and selected Excel directly from the source. It gave me an error message saying it could not locate the file....interesting. It did not give me the option to search for it.

The odd part is that I can still open that file from Excel directly with the open command.