Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a reliable PSU between 500-600W

• Please log in to reply

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I need suggestions for reliable psu's in the 500-600W range

I need a new PSU cause apparently the 11.71V on the 12V rail is low enough to do "slow damage" to my video card. i emailed BFG and they will replace my video card thankfully. I was thinking with going with a 550W Antec. I don't particulalry care about cost either as this will prolly be a christmas present :)
if anyone would like to share(and know) their current voltages on the 12V 5V and 3.3V rails for me, plz feel free

P.S this whole thing started with artifacts appearing randomly in games :tazz:

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
For a good power supply all you need is an antec 480 watt true power.

$85 at newegg, $79 for a blue colored.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103929

The 550 watt is 89.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103931

your choice, its not much more for the 550 but you dont really need that much.

The artifacts your talking about sounds from the actual video card itself. The bfg's come overclocked straight from the factory and it might of gotten dammaged somehow. They only up the core clock by 20 mhz so it shouldn't be a problem unless you tried to overclock it yourself.

Edited by jrm20, 07 December 2005 - 09:02 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
12 Volt Low
7th Dec-2005

11.71 Volts is only 2.4% lower than Nominal 12.00 Volts – Where are you measuring the 12 Volts -

Your Power Supply MAY NOT be the problem – The Problem may be in your [Power Cabling] to Video Card – This Card is a [Heavy Current] Draw from 12V - and requires [Separate/Dedicated] Power Connections –

You probably have too much [Line Voltage Drop] – PSU can deliver/supply proper voltage – But with [High Line Voltage Drop] – Card may not be receiving Proper Voltage –

You need to Measure Voltage at [Card Connector] – Not at the [Source] –

A [Larger Capacity] PSU will not compensate for [Poor/Incorrect] Power Cabling –

E=IR
If Line Resistance = 1 Ohm
And Current = 3 AMPS
Then Line Voltage Drop = 3 Volts – So Video Card could be receiving [Only 9 Volts] – while PSU is delivering 11.71 Volts -

Beefing up the Power Source will not compensate for Poor Wiring Practice – Remember – Line Resistance is not just the [Input Line] but is the [Return Line] ALSO –

A [Good] Power Engineer treats the [Ground/Return] the same as a [Power Supply] – [Power Wiring Integration] is more than getting a wire to a connection point -

Another factor in [Card Damage] is [Heat] – It is a good practice to – Leave the [Adjacent PCI Card Slot] – Vacant – to allow the [Onboard Video Card Fan] – Room to breathe – for [Proper Cooling] -

Here are some Links
http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GTOC.html

Tech Support
http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html
Browse thru your [Installation CD] for proper Power Connection & Cooling -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 December 2005 - 08:58 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What psu do you now have? Is it the 460W Thermaltake PSU in your sig? What the model number? If so I would tend to agree with Jack123.

Rick

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya, good explanation jack123. He is lucky bfg is sending him a new one. In other words humorsavesmysoul you need to double check and make shure that video card is on its own molex power dongle/ cable.

Check that.

Good explanation though jack. :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Oh, by the way I have a 6800 gt also but mine is overclocked real high and I only have a thermaltake 420 watt true power, power supply. I gave the video card its own molex connector. Nothing else is running off of the video cards power cable.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
12 Volt Low –(#2)
8th Dec-2005

Yes [Humorsavesmysoul] was fortunate to receive a new Card – However that is what a Good Company does – but I would have thought that they would/should have given some [Connection Guidelines] or at least pointed that out – Giving him a Replacement was nice – but fixing the [Root Cause] would have been a great advertisement for their [Support Group] -

Don’t overlook the [Note] on the [Cooling Fan] - [Humorsavesmysoul] – should check his temperatures –
Download the FREE Home Edition of [EVEREST] and Run – Then Expand [Computer] Folder & then Open the [Sensors] Folder - http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Or if [Humorsavesmysoul] has [Motherboard Installation CD] – Browse thru the CD – Often it contains a [Probe Utility] for measuring Temperatures – Voltages –Fan Speeds –

JRM20 do you have [Current Specs] on this Card –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 December 2005 - 11:03 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
current specs on his card? If you are asking for his specs on his video card then I know it as long as he hasnt touched the overclocking at all.

Edited by jrm20, 08 December 2005 - 08:59 AM.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
thanks for all the info so far, i'm a noob when it comes to the technical part of hardware. i have also been recieving a POST, only on cold boots, consisting of 1 long and 2 short. is this bad :tazz:?

my current system config is in my signature

the PSU has it's a 6=pin connector for a PCI-E card

also i have the A8N SLI board so there's plenty of room in b/w the graphics card(single) and PCI cards.

I did check on the temps. forgot to mention that in my first post.

CPU temp: 37 C / 99F
GPU temp: 53 C / 127F (ambient: 45 C/113F) 70-80C depending on graphics settings in games
From nvidia display properties: 58 C

(all within +/- 5% tolerance)
12V: 11.71
5V: 4.92
3.3V: 3.31
readings are from everest and the BIOS(except GPU)

i have been told that the temp for the gpu is quite high and that, as i also have suspected, may be the cause of the artifacts. i have to call BFG today. the email said to call to get an RMA.

nothing is overclocked

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Glad you didnt try overclocking yourself. But the bfg company overclocks all of there cards straight from the factory. Trust me.

Stock 6800 gt's run 350mhz /1 ghz bfg is 370mhz / 1ghz from there factory.