Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thought I had it taken care of...

• Please log in to reply

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sooo i had jsut built a new system with some friends and eerything has been going awesome. Awesome graphics due to a Radeon X800 Pro, decently fast with a gb of ram, and pretty big hardrive. It was all good until last night i get an IM on AOL IM from a friend who is really into photography. The link says check out some of these pics...wthout even a second thought i clicked on it a BAM, its defiantely a virus. It send that same link to everyone on my Buddy List and so i sign off ASAP. I then delete everything i though it could be from the Temp download folder and hoped it was gone. I told my brother and he said i probably didnt fix it and it ll just get worse and worse...so another friend reccomended using the Panda ActiveScan for free to scan my computer to make sure. After the scan it showed 2 virus's and 18 detected Spyware so im like :) I then proceed to download the free user trial to wipe out the virus's since my friend said it ll get them out and but it wont take care of the spyware so suggested spy sweeper or spybot. After downloading the Panda ActiveScan it asked to restart my comp, which i said OK too. It closed down my computer like normal then started back up like normal but after windows loaded it got to my main screen with the wallpaper up and all icons in line and just froze with a little panda face in the right hand lower corner of the screen. I ve restarted the comp many times hoping it will will boot up without freezing but it doesnt. The mouse is the usual arrow anywhere above the tool bar but as soon as the arrow goes down into where the Start menu and tool bar across the screen it has that loading symbol.

Now, is there anything i can do to get into the sytem without it trying to load Panda or the other programs its tryin to start. It seems i guess since that panda is popping up that its the program trying to start something but just freezes. Before i used panda i do have Norton SystemWorks with anti-virus and i scanned the sytem 3 times and it didnt show any files as corrupt but when i had the panda it showed 2 viruses. Could i even kick into bios and do anythin from there? or will this result in getting a new hardrive and loading windows on it and starting from scratch. i really dont mind a new drive but there are some documents and pictures that i would like to keep. i wish i would have just put those files on my memory cards just incase but i thought the panda program was my solution to getting rid of the virus. Anyways any help is greatly appreciated! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode

Click start then run, type msconfig press enter then start up, remove all the ticks from Panda, click apply and reboot

Did you have another firewall running while Panda was loading

You may want to remove Panda now then return to msconfig to put the dot in normal start up then click apply and reboot

Click the link, accept terms, launch housecall and select complete scan

http://us.trendmicro...call/v6.5/?us=2

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
omg i love this board. I ve been on here for about 30 mins and have already learned so much. I think i have a new hang out spot :tazz: Anyways thank you so much keith for the advice, i ll let you know how it goes as soon as i get home. i thought i would start the thread at school so by the time i get home i might have a response, instead i got it within 5 mins! thanks!

Shawn

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright so i had a problem with step number 1, it wont do anything even if i keep tapping F8, it still just loads and the gets to the Windows XP loading screen then the blue screen with the "Windows is starting ..." and then gets to my normal wallpaper with icons and all with still something goin on in the Start Toolbar. Could it not be giving me the option for Safe Mode because i have a wireless keyboard and mouse? I started tapping F8 as soon as i turned on the computer and still nothin. Is there a specific time i should start pressing F8? I ve entered this menu before but could the virus effect the computer not giving me that option? I dont know...keith or anyone else got any helpful tips? thanks in advance!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it lets you access the internet, run the scan from Trend Micro

Tapping the F8 key the way you did should get you options

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah what happened was my wireless Microsoft keyboard is complicated with those keys, i turned on f lock and got the menu but then couldnt use the arrows so i switched it out for wired and it worked fine. now im in the process of deleting anythin that has the word panda in it. I ll let ya know, Thanks!

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright so it worked! i can now boot up my system with no problems at all BUT the virus is still active because as soon as i logged onto AIM it started trying to send the IM to people on my Buddy List. Keith i am trying to get the Trend Micro to scan but first thing it says is i need Java so i download java and it still says i dont have. i try to use it anyways and all its doing is saying Transfering data and the thing is beeming side to side and thats it. is there anything else i could use to get rid of this virus incase this HouseCall wont work? Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There are two options, Java or browser plug in, go with the plug in

Whatever Housecall finds and clears, it found a few things on mine :tazz:

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright cool, i ll do the Tune up 2006. Should i do this after the housecall though? because its still at transfering data and "opening Trend Micro House Call" for about 15 mins so i have a feeling its not workin? Should i just go ahead and do the tune up instead? will the tune be able to delete the virus?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Actually, the Tune Up got there because it was from another post and went in when I pressed paste

You can still run this but maybe leaving it until after the malware is dealt with would be better

So go about in this order

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Then when you are clear of malware

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Stillslow

Stillslow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh alright gotcha! looks like i got my work cut out for me tonight, im sure it ll be worth it in the end. Thanks a lot for all your help!