Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Graphics Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

superman7

superman7

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have an HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop, with 512mb RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go 32M video card. I was thinking about upgrading, but now I'm wondering if I even can. I thought that the video card memory was shared, and so could be changed in the BIOS. I got into the BIOS and looked at the advanced options to up the memory allocation, but I could not highlight this option. So what I'm wondering is: even if I upgraded to 1gb of RAM, would I be able to do anything about the video memory? Or is the card an integrated motherboard thing that I have no upgrade options with? Thanks for any insight.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I'm not 100% sure on that make and model but on virtually all laptops I've worked on the video is NOT upgradable. IF you can't change the amount of ram allocated to video now then upgrading your ram more than likely will not help one bit.

Try this....

right click on "my computer" select "properties" from the list. somewhere near the bottom it should list the ram installed. IF it says 512 then it isn't shared ram. If it where it would list it as 480 ( assuming 32 for video)

the above of course is assuming you are running some version of windows....

superman7

superman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah, I looked and it says 512. Is there anyway to upgrade the video card? Would I have to get an entirely new motherboard?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There istn a way to upgrade the video in laptops its integrated and you cant upgrade their motherboards as that would be a new laptop more or less, and the desing of laptops usually doesnt allow for a motherboard to be removed.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
AS warriorscot and I said this is not something that can usually be done. Your only hope would be if this particular model had different options for video. If that is the case it would be possible though unless you are an experienced tech ( with laptop experience ) and you do not sound like it, it is not a user replaceable thing. ANd yes you'd more than likely have to replace the entire motherboard. Oh and since it is a laptop it would have to be a board made for that specific model so therefore it would had to have been an original option on that particular model. Oh and as an fyi.... unless you could find one used motherboards for lappy's typically cost $300+ and usually more like $400-$600 or even more...