Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Web hosting company recycle bin?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi there,

What i want to know is that if a hosting company hosts your website and you log into your server space where you website is, and you use an ftp, if you delete files and folders etc, will they go in a recycle bin on the server that the company own or will it be gone forever?

Advertisements

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Well that really depends on the server. it's not really a recucle bin though it's more a back up database in most cases they can be recovered but it's not quite as simple as a recycle bin

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
It really depends on your host. At GTGhosting we have backup drives in all our servers that backup data every night. We save daily, weekly, and monthly backups. However, you should never rely solely on your host for backups. Backup your site locally to a CD/DVD, or remotely to another server. GNAX offers a good off-site backup alternative.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok thanks!

I will look into it with my host.

:tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Mine has a Trash bin useable only if you are logged in and using the CPanel's File Manager to delete files. The files stay in the trash bin for 7 days. Not selectable by me so I set up a backup for the whole site from the CPanel Controls and have an e-mail sent to me when it's done. I can do a manual backup at anytime.

Using FTP, causes file(s) to be "deleted" and do not seem to show up in Trash bin if I log in and check. No problem with this as I mirror my entire site on a Flash Drive which I can carry with me anywhere. Extremely large sites will be limited by the current capacities of the Flash Drives, but external USB drives are another good choice and reasonable in price.

Ron