Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DSL Modem and a D-Link Switch

• Please log in to reply

EmilyPam

EmilyPam

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a question, maybe a stupid one. Can I connect a DSL modem to a Switch? I am working on two computers. They are networked together w/a D-Link Switch. Now I have to disconnect the switch from the back of the computer to now plug in DSL ethernet cord to the back of the computer. I tried to put the DSL cord to the switch but NOW both computers are giving me an error message saying...Windows Error - conflict with IP address on the network. So I get this error message, and no internet. Now if these people want to be on the internet I have to disconnect the Switch cord and plug in the DSL cord. Is there no way to plug the DSL cord into the switch and plug the switch to the computer. I am not trying for both computers to get internet. I just want them to be networked together and be able to run the DSL, too.

God, I hope I make sense. lol

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Emily :tazz:

Advertisements