Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Cores

• Please log in to reply

HGTZ

HGTZ

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
1 Geforce 7800GT
1 Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
1 Athlon X2 3800+
1 1GIG OCZ Platnum Rev2
1 Gigabyte 3d Aurora (I love this case )
2 WD 36gig Raptor
1 WD 160Gig
1 OCZ Powerstream 520W
1 Thermaltake BigTyphoon

If I go with the system i have the extra money to buy the 2 Raptors

1 Geforce 7800GT
1 Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
1 Athlon X2 4400+
1 1GIG OCZ Platnum Rev2
Maxtor 200GIG
1 OCZ Powerstream 520W or I can get the Antec Trupower 2 550W (not to sure on which one..help plz)
1 Thermaltake BigTyphoon

What i want to know is..

I want to know if I can at least get to 4400+ default speeds... I've heard people go as high as 2.7Ghz with air. Which system looks better to you?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Id say get one big harddrive with sata and get rid of the 2 raptors. And go 2gb of ram.

A friend of mine has 1 raptor and 2 satas. The raptor for the operating system and the others for movies ect... Kinda overboard..

Edited by jrm20, 07 December 2005 - 06:25 PM.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Id say get one big harddrive with sata and get rid of the 2 raptors. And go 2gb of ram.
A friend of mine has 1 raptor and 2 satas. The raptor for the operating system and the others for movies ect... Kinda overboard..

so forget about the 3800+? I was told it could get to 4400+ default settings and was a better OCer than the 4400+

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The second one raptors arent worth the money they dont even have the excuse of being the fastest anymore the newest 7200rpm drives are giving better real performance.

You could probably save a little money if you went ATI for you gfx the x1800 are amazingly cheap for a few models, especially the 256meg version. Or you could get a 6800GS then get another and put it into SLI, two of them are more powerful than 1 7800GTX and they are cheaper so. Either of the PSUs are fine go with whatevers cheaper.

The x2 would go to the speed you want but if you are going to overclock you might want to get some pc3500 ram and maybe look into some other boards on overclocking sites im not to sure on how will the asus board overclocks, i would maybe go DFI or with the ABIT or MSI boards(abit and msi wont overclock as high as DFI but are very stable and have some better features).

It should overclock well but you shouldnt rely on overclocking and it is a pain it reduces the life of the cpu and voids the warranty. My cpu will go to 2.7-2.8 ghz but i dont run it at that speed as i never have to its fast enough and overclocking is dangerous.

PS its a better overclocker as they are all essentially the same and reach the same speed max so obviously the 3800+ can go further from its stock speed.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 December 2005 - 06:29 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
on the cpu's the 3800+ is cheapest and Yes your right on the overclocking part. Its suppost to do better on overclocking. Up to you!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I dont recommend overclocking unless you know what your doing man. Too many people I know fried cpus.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was going to buy the DFI n4 Expert but I heard it was having alot of problems so I went with the Asus A8N32-SLI. If i got the X2 3800 I could go for 2gigs of ram. also, Im getting the 7800GT for 410 CAD which I think is really cheap. 1 6800GS is like 269 so 2 of them would be more than the 7800.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The dfi board that runs around $199 us dollars is good. If you have built a pc before its not hard to set up the board.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

The dfi board that runs around $199 us dollars is good. If you have built a pc before its not hard to set up the board.

this will actually be my first time putting one together

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ok try getting a abit board.

The abit kn8 and the an8 series for amd x2 is good. Look into those.

Ranges from $105-$140 us dollars

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
if you live in the usa goto www.newegg.com

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
*sigh* ah well, ill stick with the 4400+ and get the 2gigs of ram..that extra money was for my mp3 player but ill get it some other time. Since i havent looked it up I have no idea of a good pair of 2 gigs, does anyone know of any? plz spare brands like G-skill because thats really hard to find for me.

Also I dunno about the abit, I honestly feel more comfortable with Asus but thank you for the help. I wouldve gone with the DFI expert but there having some complaints on that

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Abit are good boards. Corsair is great memory look into the xms series its the #1 leader in memory. Ocz is also good but I recommend corsair.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Actually I dont think I have enough for a 2gig set right now. I will buy a 2gig set later though. do u think 2gig is and the processor is good enough for BF2, FEAR to run without lag? I think the Platnum Rev2 kit i chose is pretty good.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Depends on what kind of lag your talking about.. Lag is really from your internet connection when you play multiplayer servers... My system runs f.e.a.r really smoothly I have a 3ghz cpu and 1.5 gb of ram with a 6800 gt oc to 6800 ultra.

The 7800 gt is nice but just abit more and you can get a 7800 gtx. The game will run smooth with that amd dual core processor yes. 2gb of ram I recommend.

Edited by jrm20, 07 December 2005 - 08:55 PM.