Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Cores

• Please log in to reply

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Depends on what kind of lag your talking about.. Lag is really from your internet connection when you play multiplayer servers... My system runs f.e.a.r really smoothly I have a 3ghz cpu and 1.5 gb of ram with a 6800 gt oc to 6800 ultra.
The 7800 gt is nice but just abit more and you can get a 7800 gtx. The game will run smooth with that amd dual core processor yes. 2gb of ram I recommend.

srry, I ment to ask if the 4400+ and 1gig of ram was enough to run battlefield 2, FEAR, CoD2 smoothly cause I dont think I can get 2 gigs right now

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Should be fine for awhile. I would get the other 1gb soon.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Should be fine for awhile. I would get the other 1gb soon.

Yea I'll try to see if I can but im not sure, if I cant Ill get 2gigs later so ill have 3gigs of ram

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
oh yeah that would be sweet lol!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you might run into a problem with just addin ram, you should read the motherboard manual, all the NF4 boards have a problem wher if you use all the available ram slots for ram it will drop its speed down to DDR333, its not as bad as you think as it will drop your timiing down to something nice and low and ames love that but it might mess with your overclocking if you have any.

I can run all those games fine so you should have no bother. A gig is still more than fine its only BF2 that really needs more, and BF2 isnt very good im my opinion its fun but a bit dull, gfx arent as good as they make it out either.

Quake 4 and COD2 both good games, FEAR ive still to get holf of but i played the multiplayer demo fine without much hassle.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

the NF4 boards have a problem wher if you use all the available ram slots for ram it will drop its speed down to DDR333

Some, not all. I'm running 4 sticks of 5-2-2-2 Corsair on an NF4 board. PC3200 running at modest OC right now, being read as PC3300 or 416MHZ. However, have heard of problems with some boards that not only drop speed, but also won't recognize all memory after SP2. The other biggie is - you're going to drop from T1 to T2 timings when you populate all memory slots on a dual channel board compared to using just two.

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you have your timings severly mucked up there for PC3200 ram a CAS of 5 is dodgy and not good at all, games throw a hissy fit at anything above 3.5. And overclocking would affect it, i have yet to read a manual of an NF4 that doesnt get a speed drop, so the gigabyte asus abit and MSI ones all have manuals that say you get a speed drop better to assume you will get a speed drop than not. Ill need to look for anATI200 mobo manual see what kind of ram configs those boards allow.

Ive never heard of SP2 causing that problem, it shouldnt happen, also you only get SP2 upgrade probelms if you dont follow the upgrade procedure and you have an infeceted PC.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I drop my cas 3 down to 2.5 sometimes if I feel like overclocking.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
OK, lets get corrected 2-2-2-5. Figured you'd know 5 was RAS but my mistake for sure.

Lots of problems quite well known with SP2 rendering previously recognized memory as not installed when using 4 sticks. Will usually drop 4 Gig to 3 Gigs although BIOS will still read full memory amount. Reference NVidia, DFI forums or OCZ forums if still in doubt.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Here's a little more reading for you.
Back to School Time

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I didnt say it didnt i just said ive never heard of it, and i havent ive never seen a single user coming on here and report that problem in 6 months of being on these forums almost every day.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
No problem and am certainly not trying to do anything other than to help out here. I enjoy the benefit of your knowledge and was just trying to add to reasons why going to 4 Gigs might not result in the big performance boost that was anticipated or hoped for. Also not disagreeing re: a pure memory speed drop however, its most often attributable to the T2 vs T1 setting caused by populating all memory slots on a dual channel board. At the same time, you are very correct that one can get a drop from 400MHZ to 333 MHZ on some boards but certainly not all. And lastly, as to the SP2 Memory read problem, I believe it is also CPU related (lets say core related) but it may well be a lesser known issue than I was aware of.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
HGTZ was thinking of getting 2 more 1gb sticks later after he bought the 1 gb stick for now so in all that would only take up 3 slots and he should be fine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is he i just assumed he would be getting two 512s, most people do get two 512s, sounds good then. Yeah the SP2 memory is rare, mind you SP2 problems in general arent very common i havent seen one in ages, most people dont have any problem with it anymore, after that period after it was released when people just installed it and paniced when it didnt work, most twigged on that you need to exercise a bit of caution and check before you installed it.

1 gig, is fine but if you are only getting one stick then i would get the 2gig pair as soon as you can, you can get away with a dual channel 1 gig but a single stick isnt quite so fast, games especially love the dual channel memory.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Keep in mind that dual channel boards (if running dual channel) require pairs so you're working with even numbers. Three sticks will work but not in a dual channel memory configuration.