Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Cores

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ya true warriorscot. I havnt herd any problems in awhile either.

Edited by jrm20, 08 December 2005 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The extra gig will more than compensate for the loss of dual channel though.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was wondering, are 2 7800GTs better than 1 7800GTX 512mb?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Probably, different cards perform differently in SLI some are better than others, i would read some reviews on it someone will have tried it. But i dont think it would be worth the extra cash two 7800GTs are 500quid whereas one GTX is 350 to 400.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Probably, different cards perform differently in SLI some are better than others, i would read some reviews on it someone will have tried it. But i dont think it would be worth the extra cash two 7800GTs are 500quid whereas one GTX is 350 to 400.

so 2 GTs = 1 GTX 512mb?

I asked this question because 2 BFG 7800GT are about the same as one of those 512MB 7800GTxs so I was wondering which is better

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You only really need 1 7800 gtx 256 mb..... More than plenty of power to play any game. Get a good brand though. Evga, Bfg are my favorites.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
are all 7800GTXs SLI compatible ?

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
are all 7800GTXs SLI compatible ?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you want to run 2 7800 gtx's they have to be the exact same one. Some companies make 2 different versions of the card but will different clock speeds ect. Has to be the same. If you want sli you might as well get both cards at the same time.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
no, I know that all in order to run the card in SLI it has to be the same, but can all 7800GTS series cards run in series? Like is there certain brands like Asus or something that doesnt allow SLI??

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have seen sites that list the 7800 gtx's and some says sli ready on the image and some dont. They are all capable to run in sli mode, you just need a motherboard with 2 pci express 16x slots.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
And one huge powersupply to power it and some uber cooling. Not worth it really to play the one game on the market at full settings that would gain from the extra card, the game isnt even that good in the first place. Just get one i wouldnt even bother with SLI in most cases by the time someone can afford another card they would have been better off forgeting about SLI and just buying new single cards.

The 7800s also cant run both HDR and AA at the same time which really really sucks, because HDR is amazing to have on and the new games next year are going to be using it and without AA games look pants at times.
Look into x1800s for gaming if you dont fancy SLI, they are actually the better card for gamers in a more practical sense than the 7800s.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hmm ok I will go with 1 GTX. Do you think its worth spending the money for 2 drives and setup in Raid? I was thinking 2 of these: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144414

if not i will just get 1 drive and a sound card

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
My truthful oppinion I would get one 160 or 200 gb harddrive and get a good xfi sound card. Im gonna probably get a xfi sound card to go with my logitech z5500 surround sound system I just ordered the other day.

The extreme music is a great deal. In the usa from newegg it runs $119 us dollars and well worth it.

They have a platinum and an elite pro.

Those last two I listed are expensive.

Get the extreme music from creative with the xfi chipset.

HGTZ

HGTZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

My truthful oppinion I would get one 160 or 200 gb harddrive and get a good xfi sound card. Im gonna probably get a xfi sound card to go with my logitech z5500 surround sound system I just ordered the other day.
The extreme music is a great deal. In the usa from newegg it runs $119 us dollars and well worth it.

They have a platinum and an elite pro.

Those last two I listed are expensive.

Get the extreme music from creative with the xfi chipset.

yea I was just gunna get XtremeMusic. The other expensive ones just have the remote and that other thing, is there any difference on the actually card?

I want those same Z5500, I actually wanted them for awhile. I might get one now cause the prices are lower now