Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

looking for a new comp.

• Please log in to reply

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
im looking for a laptop that is snappy, yet potable enough to take it onboard a Navy ship witch also means reliable seeing as how i can't just drive to the UPS building and send it back any help with brands?

prefurably in the $0 (wishful thinking) - $1,700 us dollar range

is dell still haveing cooling problems?

Has any 1 bought a Hypersonic computer? had truble with it?

is it true the CPU don't matter as long as its new and u get 2gb of ram?

looking for to do word prossesing- gameing and haveing an open mind about any programs i might have to run for my navy job.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by 09mlb86, 07 December 2005 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I found one right below your budget.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834114176

Its a toshiba
it has an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 128mb which is good for a laptop and the laptop has 1gb of ram. For 2gb of ram and a good laptop video card it will be over 2 grand. A laptop isnt meant for gaming but you can play games on this laptop.

Hypersonic pc's are expensive laptops meant for gaming, so it will be out of the budget for shure.

You can always goto the manufacturers site and build your own. Sony, ibm, hp, toshiba make good all around laptops. For what you want if you goto a manufacturers site it might be over your budget. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Acer makes good ones out of the box, you want something witha go6600 or 6800 gfx chip in it, ram isnt as big deal because its one of the few things you can upgrade yourself.

McCoy

McCoy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Get an Alienware; you will never regrtet it. If you want a more potrable drevice, they have them, (I was fortuineate enough to get a top of the line laptop from them right before they put the 64 bit cips in them). but they have one's made for portability, look into ti. I don't know how much you are willing to spend though, but I am still trying to get used typing on a laptop; I find it very difficult! Anyway...

Regards,

Bill

9I

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
ok thanks alout i will look into it. thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I dont know why you listed alienware. There pc's will be way over his $1700 budget.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No they make some cheapish ones, at least they do here, when i say cheap they arent cheap but they are reasonable in that budget anyway.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Better than Alienware. Check out some of the Falcon NW FragBooks and configure 1 for yourself. THey are known for competing with Alienware, just not as big.